Athens Farmers Market

Fruits and vegetables sit in baskets with handwritten prices at the Athens Farmers Market at Bishop Park. (Photo/Emily Haney, emilyhaney.com)

Athens Farmers Market

On Saturday mornings, between 8 a.m. and noon, this market is held at Bishop Park, west of downtown near the Health Sciences Campus. The 2019 markets run from March 23 until December 21. The market features chef demonstrations, bands, ready-made foods and, of course, a spectrum of fresh produce. Vendors for 2019 include Pastures of Rose Creek, Rhonda’s Blueberries, Booger Hill Bee Company and Full Moon Farms. On Wednesdays from 4-7 p.m., a smaller version of this market is set up downtown in the Creature Comforts Brewery parking lot. Open from April 3 until November 27, the market offers a chance to pair locally sourced foods with samples of locally crafted beers while you listen to — what else? — local music. athensfarmersmarket.com

West Broad Farmers Market

Starting on May 4, this market operates out of a historic former school on the edge of downtown from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. on Saturdays. The grounds serve as a community garden and training facility for young, urban farmers. In addition to music, educational booths and chef demonstrations, the market hosts activities such as yoga classes and craft fairs. Vendors include Good Roots, Bread and Butter Farms and Soul Food With a Twist. The 2019 market season runs through Dec. 14. athenslandtrust.org

This article originally appeared in the spring 2019 Visitors Guide