Lake Herrick

Lake Herrick (Photo/Julian Alexander)

Intramural Fields area

Managed by the Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources, the Oconee Forest Park is a working laboratory within the Intramural Fields filled with century-old trees, the remnants of a once-massive forest. The park contains the recently reopened Lake Herrick with its research and recreational focus as well as picnic facilities, a hiking area, a dog park, tennis courts and fields for other sports. There’s plenty of parking, the park is ADA accessible and the area can be reached by UGA buses and Athens Transit. warnell.uga.edu/oconee-forest-park

University Golf Course

The almost 7,300-yard, par 71 Robert Trent Jones course made Golf Advisor’s 2018 list of the top 50 best courses. The course, which has developed and evolved extensively since its inception in 1968, is open to the public, and there are several pass and membership options available. golfcourse.uga.edu

State Botanical Garden

About three miles south of campus, the garden is an educational facility operated by the university that covers more than 300 acres. Within the grounds are theme gardens, special collections and a conservatory that includes a cafe. You also can explore more than five miles of trails and, starting this spring, enjoy the Alice H. Richards Children’s Garden. botgarden.uga.edu

UGArden

The UGArden Student Community Farm offers students hands-on experience in farming and gardening. Crops produced at UGArden are used by partner nonprofit Campus Kitchen and at Athens-area schools. The farm hosts events throughout the year. For information on touring, email garden.uga@gmail.com.

UGA Trial Gardens

Located behind Snelling Dining Commons, the gardens serve as the site of a contest where annuals and perennials battle Southeastern heat and humidity. Ranked by endurance, the best plants of the year are given the Classic City Garden Awards. The gardens are open year-round. ugatrial.hort.uga.edu

This article originally appeared in the spring 2019 Visitors Guide