Condor Chocolates

Condor Chocolates has a storefront operation in the Five Points neighborhood.(Photo/Caitlin Jett)

Walking distance from campus and the many sorority and fraternity houses lining South Milledge Avenue, Five Points is popular with students as well as professionals and professors, many of whom live in historic homes lining the surrounding blocks. The namesake intersection is home to more than a dozen restaurants.

What to See and Do

Memorial Park — Houses greenspace, trails, a dog park, swimming pool and community center. Its key attraction is Bear Hollow Zoo, which offers rehabilitation for native species.

Avid Bookshop — Opened in 2016, this second location of the indie bookseller has an exceptional kids section.

Stroll and Shop — Spend a day browsing boutiques and specialty stores including Masada Leather and Archipelago Antiques.

Where to Eat & Drink

5&10 — Known as the launching pad for Hugh Acheson’s celebrated career, this is a destination for special occasions.

Cali N Tito’s — This Central American spot is popular with students thanks to expansive outdoor seating and a BYOB policy.

The Royal Peasant — A small pub with a British pedigree that draws regulars who know it’s the best place to watch soccer.

Independent Baking Co. — Get there early for fresh-from-the-oven classic French breads and pastries such as pain au chocolat.

Condor Chocolates — This family-run enterprise offers Fair Trade truffles and bar chocolate as well as gelato and baked goods.

Cake Walk — This bake shop on Milledge Avenue carries a range of desserts as well as specialty coffees and gift items.

The Expat Athens — Known for exceptional cocktails and a French-inspired menu.

The Pine and the Root — These sibling spots (restaurant, Pine, upstairs; bar, Root, below) feature Southern fare as well as a selection of Transfit-approved menu items.

Donna Chang’s — Upgraded takeout favorites are portioned to share at this chic spot with a busy patio.

Last Resort Provisions — This offshoot of the downtown destination serves dinner six nights a week.

This article originally appeared in the spring 2019 Visitors Guide