Georgia Museum of Art

Courtesy Georgia Museum of Art

Georgia Museum of Art

Opened in 1948, the GMOA serves as the state’s official art museum and now occupies a contemporary building. It holds more than 10,000 objects in a permanent collection, from American paintings of the 18th and 19th centuries to Japanese prints. The museum has a growing collection of Southern decorative arts. GMOA offers a range of programs including film series, guided tours and special events, such as the Third Thursday evening art tour series and yoga in the galleries. A special exhibition this spring focuses on Tsar Nicholas II and the end of the Romanov reign. Admission is free. georgiamuseum.org

Lamar Dodd School of Art

Lamar Dodd includes studio space for all disciplines. The building itself showcases displays of emerging artists’ work through its halls. It’s named for Lamar Dodd, who came to the university as a resident artist and established the framework for the Georgia bachelor’s degree in art in the 1930s. art.uga.edu

Performing Arts Center

The Performing Arts Center is home to the Hugh Hodgson Concert Hall and the Ramsey Concert Hall, venues which host national and international performers as well as performances by UGA music students and faculty. Hodgson is the larger hall, able to hold 1,100 people in festival-like seating. pac.uga.edu

Georgia Museum of Natural History

In 1999, the Georgia Museum of Natural History was recognized as the official state museum of natural history. Teachers in a range of disciplines have access to the specimens that are kept in the museum which include 1.3 million insects, over 500,000 species of fishes and over 50,000 reptiles and amphibians. Admission is free; call ahead if you would like to bring a larger group. naturalhistory.uga.edu

Special Collections Libraries

This 115,000-square-foot building holds the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library with approximately 120,000 rare books and over 6 million archival items such as family papers, diaries and letters. It also holds the Georgiana Collection, documents on state history, and the University of Georgia Archives. This facility houses the Richard B. Russell Library for Political Research and Studies and the Walter J. Brown Media Archives & Peabody Awards Collection, which preserves over 250,000 works in film, video, audiotape, transcription disks and other formats. libs.uga.edu/scl

This article originally appeared in the spring 2019 Visitors Guide