Pulaski Heights BBQ

Pulaski Heights BBQ (Photo/ Justin Fountain, Justingf@uga.edu)

Less than a mile from downtown, Pulaski Heights originally was home to a diverse mix of city clerks, blue-collar workers and craftsmen. Today’s residents have renovated the original wooden cottages and manufacturing spots and built modern homes and work spaces in the area’s hilly, tree-shaded lots. A centerpiece of the area is the former L.M. Leathers Sons plant, which now houses a variety of businesses as well as lofts. The adjacent North Chase Industrial District is home to the Chase Park Warehouses, which today house businesses and art studios.

What to See and Do

ATHICA — An edgy gallery in the historic Leathers Building.

M3 Yoga — Classes and special events such as candlelight yoga.

Pulaski Heights Trail — Connects the area to downtown.

The Tree Room — The most noticeable attraction in Chase Park — a courtyard built around large, otherwise obtrusive trees and used for special events.

Lotta Mae’s Supply Co. — Billed as a “modern homestead shop” it carries everything from heavy tools and worm castings to locally made pottery and home decor items.

Where to Eat and Drink

Buvez — A coffee shop by day and cocktail spot by night, serving as a neighborhood gathering spot.

Pulaski Heights BBQ — Locally sourced meats are the focus, but vegetarians are taken care of. Try the smoked cauliflower.

Jittery Joe’s Roaster — Operating in a converted Quonset hut, this headquarters of the local coffee empire is the place to stop in to watch coffee alchemy in action — and order a fresh-made latte.

Mae Pole — A casual new restaurant from chef Peter Dale of The National, featuring all-organic produce and meats.

Tlaloc — It’s the breadth of options — from Salvadoran pupusas to a Tex-Mex type combo — that makes this small restaurant a favorite of students and the Athens Latino community.

This article originally appeared in the spring 2019 Visitors Guide