Stegeman Coliseum

Stegeman Coliseum (Photo/Casey Sykes, www.caseysykes.com)

Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall

Named for Wallace Butts and Harry Mehre, this complex sits near the new indoor practice facility and Foley Field. The 85,000-square-foot building is located off Lumpkin Street behind the Spec Towns Track. Check out the Heritage Museum and Sports Museum, which include retired jerseys, Heisman Trophy memorabilia, the Rose Bowl trophy and the 1980 NCAA National Championship trophy. The center is open for tours during regular weekday business hours only; admission is free. Next to the facility is a garden containing a sculpture that commemorates venerated athletic director Vince Dooley.

Ramsey Student Center

The UGA gym offers 440,000 square feet and a variety of activities. Ramsey holds more than 25,000 square feet of weight-training space, three pools, four gymnasia, a climbing wall, an outdoor bouldering area, 10 racquetball courts, two international squash courts and an indoor track. The center offers classes from yoga to boxing. Good to Know: Guest passes, which are available to alumni, guests of the Georgia Center for Continuing Education and Hotel and those sponsored by a current student, can be purchased at the admissions desk or online with a valid photo ID. Full daily access for adults for is $7.

Sanford Stadium

Since opening on Oct. 12, 1929, this facility has hosted hundreds of thousands of fans, students and visitors. Sanford has tripled its capacity over the decades to 92,746 seats. Currently the 10th largest on-campus stadium in college football by capacity, Sanford underwent a $63 million renovation of the west end zone in 2018, which included the installation of an updated video scoreboard and new upper and lower plazas. The best view following the restructure of the stadium is from the walkway that connects the Tate Student Center to the Miller Learning Center. Campus Tradition: The deceased Georgia bulldog mascots, Uga I through IX, are buried within the stadium.

Stegeman Coliseum

Originally the Georgia Coliseum when it opened in 1964, this athletic training and competition space was renamed in 1996 in honor of Herman James Stegeman, who had been the head football coach, basketball coach, baseball coach and track and field coach at the university in the early 1900s. Stegeman is the home of Georgia’s basketball and volleyball teams as well as the GymDogs gymnastics program. It hosted gymnastics and volleyball competitions during the 1996 Olympics plus the 1989, 1995 and 2008 NCAA gymnastics championships. It underwent recent renovations for a center-court scoreboard, new seats, an improved sound system and more. Stegeman can hold 10,523 people and features a state-of-the-art basketball floor.

This article originally appeared in the spring 2019 Visitors Guide