Victor Wilson

Courtesy Victor Wilson

Currently vice president for Student Affairs at the University of Georgia, Wilson previously served as director of orientation among other positions. Wilson first came to UGA as an undergraduate student in 1977 and then later returned to earn both his master’s degree and Ph.D.

How have UGA and Athens changed over the years?

Honestly, in so many ways it’s the same and in so many ways it’s different. It’s kind of hard to put your finger on it because I just remember coming back in 2013 and ... thinking “OK, it’s like I never left.” The one thing I would say has changed a lot is it’s just a lot more people with a lot more different beliefs with more things that they offer this community, but in a good way.

Do you have a favorite “hidden gem” in Athens or on campus?

I don’t get to do it often, but if I ever need a moment to get away, I’ll just go to the State Botanical Garden. And particularly the Day Chapel, which is out in the woods. It’s just very peaceful.

What is a piece of advice you’d give to someone visiting Athens?

I would probably say enjoy it, but it’s not going to be possible to embrace all of what Athens is. I just think Athens is too complex, I don’t care how long you stay here. There’s so much that you’re never going to be able to do. And I think that’s great, because there are always new adventures in Athens.

This article originally appeared in the spring 2019 Visitors Guide