Georgia Center

Good enough for UGA: The famed mascot stays at the UGA Center for Continuing Education & Hotel when he's in town. (Photo: Shannah Montgomery, University of Georgia)

Planning a visit to Athens? Here are plenty of options for a stay in the Classic City.

2020 Guidance: In each of the following hotels, face coverings are required in all indoor spaces. Make sure and call to get any updates before planning your stay!

Courtyard by Marriott Athens Downtown

This updated hotel on Finley Street offers a pool, fitness center and free high-speed internet as well as a mix of rooms and suites.

website

Georgia Gameday Center

Can’t get enough red and black? This football-themed complex in the heart of downtown rents Bulldog-themed condos, allowing you space to spread out and make yourself at home during a visit. 

website

Graduate Athens

This property on E. Dougherty Street once housed an iron foundry and has been beautifully renovated. The on-site spa makes for an extra relaxing stay — or you can chill and catch a concert at The Foundry. The hotel is a brisk walk from campus — consider using one of the guest bikes to get around.

website

Hilton Garden Inn — Athens Downtown

With a mix of rooms and suites and a 24/7 business center, this upscale downtown hotel is a good destination for a longer stay. Please note that out of COVID-related caution, there may be scaled-back breakfast, room service and restaurant availability. In addition, access to the fitness center may be reduced.

website

Holiday Inn — Athens-University Area

Location, location, location. Situated on Broad Street and steps from North Campus, this hotel offers easy access to the university and downtown. Social distancing measures are in place in all public indoor areas within the hotel.

website

Homewood Suites by Hilton Athens

This Broad Street hotel has larger suites with family-friendly features such as full kitchens. There may be reduced breakfast service, room service and fitness center access. 

website

Hotel Indigo

Minutes from campus, the eco-friendly Indigo houses a concert venue and gallery. Its restaurant and room service feature local vendors. 

website

Hotels Hyatt

Courtesy Hyatt Place

Hyatt Place Athens Downtown

This 190-room hotel on North Thomas Street, adjacent to the Classic Center, features 24-hour fitness and business centers as well as perks such as breakfast and free Wi-Fi. Check out the HYBAR Rooftop, which offers bar service and fabulous views of downtown. 

website

SpringHill Suites by Marriott 

Opened in 2018, this hotel on South Hull Street puts guests in close proximity to both downtown and North Campus, making for easy walking to most destinations. It has a variety of guest rooms and suites. 

website

University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education and Hotel

If you want to be in the heart of campus, there’s no better spot than this UGA-operated complex that includes a 200-room hotel. It’s an easy stroll from Myers Quad and Stegeman Coliseum. The hotel has undergone a major renovation. Rooms have been reduced to follow social distancing guidelines. Housekeeping can be requested when the room is not being occupied or you can request no-contact delivery of towels and toiletries.

website

This article originally appeared in the fall 2020 edition of The Red & Black's  Visitors Guide special publication.