You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Athens Picks: The Smiths

• Updated
The Smiths

Go ahead, roll your eyes. Yes, The Smiths is one of those bands that those self-proclaimed outsiders attached themselves to in high school, and, yes, Morrissey has turned himself into a never-ending publicity stunt to promote sub-par music that has trouble finding a label for its release, but don’t sit there and tell me these guys haven’t soundtracked at least one of your moody afternoon walks at some point in your life.

Stigmas aside, The Smiths are one of the most prolific bands of the past three decades, so much so that comparing a new group’s sound to that of The Smiths’ lacks any sort of value due to an overload of such statements.

Check out the list below, and be sure to listen to the accompanying playlist to see local musical figures’ favorite tracks from a band that your dad could only describe as “whiny and overdramatic.”

JJ Posway, vocalist/guitarist, Scooterbabe: “This Charming Man”

Sebastian Marquez, vocalist/guitarist, Dead Neighbors: “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now”

Jesse Mangum, owner/engineer, The Glow Recording Studio: “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out”

Richard Hunsinger, guitarist, MAGD: “Well I Wonder”

Jonny Williams, senior music writer, Ampersand: “William, It Was Really Nothing”

Xander Witt, Gyps; guitarist, Muuy Biien/Ritvals: “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out”

Terence Chiyezan, Murk Daddy Flex; guitarist, Nurture: “Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want”

Brett Bennett, music director, WUOG: “The Queen Is Dead”

Jack Blauvelt, vocalist/guitarist, Dana Swimmer/Padre: “This Charming Man”

Dafna Kaufman, programming director, WUOG: “Pretty Girls Make Graves”

Sienna Chandler, vocalist/guitarist, Monsoon: “Frankly Mr. Shankly”

Patrick Brick, Futo: “That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore”

Michael Buice, bassist, Scooterbabe/Programs: “Cemetry Gates”

Max Wang, drummer, The Rodney Kings: “Handsome Devil”