Over one hundred protesters of all ages, races and genders gathered at the UGA arch in downtown Athens on Saturday, April 3, 2021 for the Unite Against Asian Hate rally. Protesters marched from the UGA Arch to Athens City Hall with signs denouncing Asian hate and expressing solidarity for Asian American and Pacific Islander communities.
The rally was organized by the Athens Anti-Discrimination Movement as a call to all marginalized communities and their allies to come together in solidarity. Protesters were asked to bring flowers in honor of the eight lives taken, six of which were Asian women, at the Atlanta spa shootings on March 16, 2021.
Speeches at the protest called for solidarity across racial, ethnic, socioeconomic and gender groups, increased legislation around hate crimes and increased gun control. Speakers included Mokah Jasmine Johnson, Ava Cotliar, Long Tran, Michelle Kang, Cole Knapper, Cam Ashling, Emma Jones, Anne Belocura and Aditya Krishnaswamy.
As featured on
A crowd of about 100 people marched downtown Saturday afternoon in solidarity with Asian Ame…
Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month began on May 1. Since 1979, the month of May has been a time to celebrate the contributions and accomplishments of AAPI communities which have enriched society in the United States and beyond.
- Clocked! owner reflects on journey to open restaurant in Athens
- Athens health care professionals share thoughts on updated mask guidelines
- OPINION: UGA student-parents: Support us, don’t shame us
- Q&A: Former UGA football player turned hip-hop artist discusses new album
- A look ahead: UGA and Athens events this week
- Health department to give out free COVID-19 vaccines around Athens
- UGA athletic department exploring attendance-tracking technology for student-athletes
- NEWS RELEASE: Melissa Mooney promoted to Chief Financial Officer
- Georgia track and field qualifies 16 for Nationals at NCAA East Prelims
- Athens artists release new music in time for summer
A podcast exploring the week's top stories