Athens Showgirl Cabaret presented Fabulous Fridays downstairs at Sound Track Bar on Friday, April 23, 2021. Fabulous Fridays is a monthly event bringing performances by local drag entertainers to downtown Athens’ nightlife scene, with masks required for entry to the venue.
Lori Divine, who has been a part of Athens Showgirl Cabaret for nine years, has performed in drag since 1983. According to her, Athens Showgirl Cabaret shows are “completely politically incorrect.”
“We don't care what your politics are, we're gonna make fun of everything,” Lori Divine said. “It’s all about laughter, having a good time, supporting each other, meeting new people and making new friends.”
On Friday night, guests filled the local bar with applause, laughter and support.
Outside of the group’s monthly in-person events, cast members put on a talk show called “Divine Happy Hour” and perform virtually on Facebook Live and Twitch. Although in-person shows are returning, Athens Showgirl Cabaret plans to continue holding virtual events as well.
Cast member Jenn Sparx, who recalled falling in love with drag almost 10 years ago, expressed her hopes for people to continue attending in-person shows.
“I love seeing people smile and making them laugh,” Sparx said. “We need everybody to come out and have fun.”
A podcast exploring the week's top stories
- Jerk Chicken Plate from Kelly's Authentic Jamaican Food
- Athens police investigating shooting on Danielsville Road
- UGA spring 2021 commencement to allow unlimited guests
- Former UGA Gamma Sigma Sigma sisters create new service society after chapter reckoning
- A guide to Athens' breakfast spots
- Two Athens men shot in Barrow County, GBI investigating
- Athens musicians start nonprofit to bring free music education to public schools
- Athens restaurant roundup: EIC Espresso is at Creature Comforts, Molly’s Coffee axes reservations, Winghouse Grill opens in Normaltown and more
- UGA, Athens communities consider Georgia gun legislation
- 2021 NFL draft: Where all 9 Georgia draftees landed
- PHOTOS: Severe storms rip through neighboring Madison County leaving trail of damage
- PHOTOS: Acceptance Recovery Center hosts ribbon-cutting for new long-term recovery residency
- PHOTOS: Athens Showgirl Cabaret presents Fabulous Fridays drag
- PHOTOS: Georgia baseball goes 14 innings with Auburn in game 2 of series
- WEEK IN PHOTOS: UGA baseball, Athens Area Humane Society kitten shower and more
- PHOTOS: 'Students Against Sonny' group protests at UGA Arch
- PHOTOS: United Campus Works hosts 'UGA's End of Year Review' rally at the Arch
- PHOTOS: Athens' West Broad Farmers Market celebrates May Day
- PHOTOS: Georgia baseball falls to Auburn 9-7
- Red & Black Spring Picnic | 2021