On Thursday, March 19, the Athens-Clarke County government put into place mandatory "shelter-in-place" laws that forced many local businesses to close their doors to the public and urged citizens to avoid "non-essential" travel outside of their homes. The normally sprawling downtown Athens now sits largely quiet, with dozens of businesses displaying signs of closure.
- PHOTOS: COVID-19 panic causes depleted inventory at Athens area stores
- PHOTOS: UGA campus faces near desertion in the wake of COVID-19 virus
- PHOTOS: Local Athens businesses provide curbside service due to COVID-19
- PHOTOS: The Red & Black Staff practices self-isolation
- PHOTOS: Volunteers pass out free meals to Clarke County School District students