A crowd of about 100 people marched downtown Saturday afternoon in solidarity with Asian American and Pacific Islander communities after the mass shooting in Atlanta that occurred on March 16.
To bring attention to the recent increase in anti-Asian hate crimes, speakers touched on the underlying topics. Subjects included voter suppression, gun violence and America’s mainstream media perception of China.
Michelle Kang is Korean American Constituency Director of the Asian American Action Fund of Georgia. She and one of her daughters are University of Georgia graduates. Her other daughter will attend college this fall, and Kang said she is concerned for her safety.
“My daughter went here. I was never concerned about her safety because she lived off campus. Now I have another daughter to go to college this year, this August. I'm very concerned about her safety. Will she be safe?” Kang said in a speech at the Arch.
The crowd then marched to City Hall.
Over one hundred protesters of all ages, races and genders gathered at the UGA arch in downt…
A crowd of about 100 gathered at the Arch Saturday afternoon to join in solidarity with the Asian American and Pacific Islander community after the mass shootings in Atlanta that occurred on March 16.
A podcast exploring the week's top stories
- UPDATE: Police release description of suspect vehicle in fatal hit-and-run
- UGA police blotter: Man yells profanity in front of Arch, unconscious student carried to dorm and more
- A guide to UGA spring 2021 commencement
- UGA law school jumps ahead of Emory in recent rankings
- Athens police arrest 15-year-old in murder investigation
- Athens restaurant roundup: Daily Groceries allows more shoppers, Normal Bar opens indoor seating and more
- Winder woman dies in Athens' 10th fatal car crash of 2021
- Former UGA professor sentenced to prison for child pornography
- UGA spring 2021 commencement to allow unlimited guests
- UGA professors urge public to recognize harmful algal blooms
- PHOTOS: UGA Spring Commencement 2021
- PHOTOS: 'Beyond Baldwin' hosts protest and march at the Arch
- PHOTOS: On an organic, regenerative farm with Athens' Heartsong Herbs
- WEEK IN PHOTOS: Winterville storm damage, behind the scenes with Heartsong Herbs organic farm and more
- PHOTOS: Athens Al-Huda Islamic Center offers Iftar to fasting community members
- PHOTOS: Athens' West Broad Farmers Market celebrates May Day
- PHOTOS: Winterville prepares to host annual marigold festival
- PHOTOS: Spring Fling Market showcases local artists
- PHOTOS: Severe storms rip through neighboring Madison County leaving trail of damage
- PHOTOS: Acceptance Recovery Center hosts ribbon-cutting for new long-term recovery residency