The Asian-American Student Association wants to unite Asians on campus, though some Asian-American student organizations say a lack of unity still exists among them, while others say it's a lack of communication.

Phonshia Nie, president of AASA, said she helped reactivate the organization in spring of 2004.

"I wanted to find a forum for all Asian-American organizations, to welcome anyone from any background," she said. "I felt fraternities and sororities, in general, aren't for everyone ... just because of the time constraints and commitments."

Kevin Yao, president of Xi Kappa, the first Asian-interest fraternity established on campus, said, "The Asian population in Georgia, in general, lacks unity and representation."

There are two Asian-interest fraternities along with two Asian-interest sororities on campus, which Yao said, has sparked some rivalries in the past.

"I don't think there's a clear division anymore among the (Asian) Greeks," he said. "We all have a common goal ... I don't think there's a rivalry anymore."

Yao said the slight division among the Asian Greek organizations is because they are trying to recruit the same people, and the pool from which they are drawing is already very small.

Luc Tran, president of the Vietnamese Student Association, said some Asian-American student groups exclude themselves from the others, but the conflicts between the different groups remain unspoken.

"On paper, no one talks about the conflicts," he said.

Lillie Madali, external social chair of Asian-interest sorority Delta Phi Lambda, said there is no "flat-out rivalry," but there is still competition between the Asian Greeks.

Sandy Duong, president of Asian-interest sorority Alpha Sigma Rho, said she has similar feelings.

"Of course there's a strict line between the two sororities, but that's only because we have different views on how to carry out our sororities," she said.

Van Nguyen, the president of Asian-interest fraternity Lambda Phi Epsilon, said distinct groups of Asian-Americans exist on campus.

"Some people feel comfortable hanging out with (people of) their own ethnicity," he said. "We're all Asian; we should hang out with each other."

Korean Undergraduate Student Associa-tion president Johan Koo said he doesn't think there is a lack of unity, but there is lack of communication.

Yet most of the groups are open to collaboration, he said.

"There's no real unifying purpose in the events, no real events that all the Asian groups can get involved with," he said. "The problem is, I suppose, you have to have an outside group to unify them."