One fraternity is embracing the bell-bottoms and high-pitched singing of the disco era to help save lives.

Lambda Phi Epsilon is sponsoring a two-day blood drive aptly named "Stayin' Alive Disco Drive" in the Georgia Hall. Today is the last day of the drive.

"Every semester, we have one with a theme," said Will Le, a senior from Marietta and member of the fraternity. "I got dressed up as a parrot once, and it's always fun doing these drives with themes."

For the spring drive last year, the room's palm trees and beach music highlighted their paradise theme, Le said, while Halloween decorations and old horror movies were elements of fall semester's drive.

After giving blood, donors can receive a little something, too - T-shirts and disco balls to hang on their rear-view mirrors.

Le said in the past about 50 people came to each drive. Since the drive runs for two days, he anticipates the number rising.

"We're hoping to draw over 100 people," Le said.

The process of donating takes 30 to 45 minutes. The blood-drawing process takes about four to eight minutes, said Donnie Kinard, donor services technician and bus driver for the the Northeast Georgia region of LifeSouth Community Blood Centers.

"Nine out of 10 people tell me the donation process is much easier than they imagined," said Sondra Wallace, a donor recruiter and University alumna.

The blood is separated into plasma, platelets and red blood cells.

Plasma is largely used for burn victims, Wallace said.

"Platelets usually go to cancer patients," said Robin Turner, a nurse for LifeSouth. "It's the clotting factor."

Turner said the red blood cells go to anyone who might lose a lot of blood, such as those undergoing major surgeries.

"Donors have to be at least 17 and in overall good health," Kinard said.

With LifeSouth, the donated blood will stay in Georgia, she said. The blood will go to hospitals in counties such as Hall and Habersham and sometimes to hospitals in Atlanta.

Multimedia