Cultural Fusion puts on a show to raise money for Chinese orphans

Grace Han, a sophomore math major, serves drinks to guests at Alpha Sigma Rho's Cutural Fusion event at the Tate Grand Hall. REMY THURSTON/ Staff

It was the night before Easter but Cultural Fusion was still a success, Cindy Nguyen said.

“A lot more people came out than we expected because this is Easter weekend,” said Nguyen, a junior pre-law and psychology major from Lawrenceville. “But last year, there was a lot more people due to the fact that it wasn’t Easter weekend.”

Alpha Sigma Rho, an Asian-interest sorority, put on Cultural Fusion Saturday in order to raise money for their philanthropy Half the Sky Foundation.

All the proceeds from the night's sale of raffle tickets and food went to orphans in China who are in need of surgeries.

The night started on a funny note with video that combined audition tapes with video clips of the "American Idol" judges.

Simon Cowell was not pleased with any of the performances. Even Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson covered their faces in disgust when the Swaggerlicious Geishas performed.

The groups that did make it into the Cultural Fusion program presented skits and dances.

Delta Phi Lambda sisters dressed as men and Lambda Phi Epsilon brothers dressed as women to entertain the audience with their own renditions of the songs “Be A Man” and “A Girl Worth Fighting For” from the Disney movie Mulan.

Jurod James and Eric Ekwueme, two of Nguyen’s classmates from a Chinese class, even got on stage to sing a Chinese song called “Wo Ke Yi” by Evan Yo.

“Well, we did this for the Chinese New Year Gala too,” said Ekwueme, a junior international affairs major from Snellville. “For this, we just wanted to help out Cindy.”

“We like the song too,” said James, a junior Chinese language and literature major from Jonesboro.

At the center of all the fun was ASR’s desire to raise at least $1,000 for the Chinese orphans who need surgeries.

“Last year, we were able to raise $1,000,” said Nguyen, ASR's vice president. “This year, I’m not sure yet. But hopefully the total will be similar to last year’s.”

Katy Blanton, an ASR sister and freshman pre-business major from Alpharetta, said she enjoyed her first experience at Cultural Fusion.

“This is my first one. It’s really fun,” she said. “It’s a great way to raise money for our philanthropy and let people know what our philanthropy is about.”