The Multicultural Greek Council may be smaller and less well-known than the University’s other Greek councils, but members tried to change that with Wednesday's “Taste of MGC” event in Tate Plaza.

MGC organizations collaborated on the event, selling foods from their respective cultures.

Anthony Prasetio, MGC President, said the point was to raise money for MGC and to raise campus awareness of the council.

“We’re trying to tell the student body, ‘Hey, we exist!’” said the junior biology major from Savannah. “Because not a lot of people know about MGC but everyone knows about IFC, Panhellenic and NPHC.”

Prasetio said there are only 11 organizations in MGC, and most of them average around 30 members.

This may be because the council is only eight years old – it was founded at the University in 2004.

Each of the organizations were founded on ethnic origins – Prasetio’s fraternity, Sigma Beta Rho, was originally founded as a Southeast Asian fraternity.

But Prasetio said most MGC organizations call themselves "multicultural" and are moving away from definitive ethnic titles.

“We’re not just one specific type of people,” he said. “Even though you might see us that way, that’s not necessarily how we identify ourselves.”

And the food definitely reflected that diversity.

Sigma Beta Rho sold Pao de Queijo, a Brazilian cheese bun with marinara dipping sauce.

“So like I said, we’re not just Southeast Asian,” Prasetio said.

Sarah Yang, Delta Phi Lambda’s former president, was selling black malt tea with her sorority.

“For us, it’s demonstrating our Asian background,” said the senior food science major from Suwanee.

“It is consumed in a wide range of cultures so it’s not any one specific culture, and Asian culture is very diverse in itself.”

Yang said the tea is even popular in Athens in Asian dessert shops such as Suno.

Other foods sold at the event included cheese, beef and chicken empanadas, sheera — an Indian dessert — dumplings, samosas and cake balls.

Kevin Moriles, MGC’s vice president of social media, is a member of Lambda Phi Epsilon, which was selling Chinese donuts.

Though he is not Chinese, Moriles said he eats the donuts when he goes to Chinese restaurants with fellow fraternity members.

“We usually try to encourage our MGC organizations to eat very diverse foods,” said the sophomore biology major from Jonesboro.

Prasetio said he hopes Taste of MGC will become an annual event that will gain momentum as the council becomes more prominent on campus.

“This is just a way for us to brand ourselves and spread the word out there that we’re on campus,” he said.