The class of 2016 at the University will include 26 students who have been awarded the Foundation Fellowship, the university’s premier undergraduate scholarship.

The Foundation Fellowship Program provides an array of academic enrichment and extracurricular opportunities to recipients, including international travel-studies, internships and research experiences. Individualized attention and student-faculty interactions are other major components that support the undergraduate community of future scholars and leaders.

The Foundation Fellows are a part of UGA’s academically rigorous Honors Program and participate in program events throughout the academic year, such as dinner seminars in the homes of faculty and special meetings with distinguished visiting speakers. Senior faculty and current Fellows serve as mentors for the new Fellows.

“I am extremely pleased to welcome this stellar group of wonderful individuals to the Foundation Fellowship,” said David S. Williams, associate provost and director of UGA’s Honors Program. “Given their impressive records to date, as well as their exciting array of talents, they are sure to make a very positive impact on our campus and beyond.”

In-state students receive an annual stipend of $10,100 and the HOPE Scholarship. Out-of-state students receive an annual stipend of $16,800 and out-of-state tuition waivers. In addition to group travel-study experiences, including a Maymester study abroad at Oxford University and three spring trips, Fellows also receive $7,500 in individual travel grants and $1,750 to fund research and academic conference attendance.

The Fellows were chosen from 900 applicants, with finalists invited to a campus interview weekend in February. They participated in faculty-led seminars, social gatherings with current Fellows and a round of interviews with senior faculty, Foundation trustees, Fellows alumni and university staff.

The incoming class average SAT score is 1540 (math and verbal only) and the average ACT score is 35. Their high school grade point average is 4.16 on a 4.0 scale, which indicates extra points for advanced placement courses. The Fellows’ high school academic and extracurricular records also are noteworthy.

The Foundation Fellows may renew the scholarship for an additional three years of academic study as long as they maintain a cumulative 3.5 grade point average and are in good standing with the Honors Program.

The Foundation Fellows Program was created in 1972 by the trustees of the University of Georgia Foundation to provide academically outstanding undergraduates with an enriched educational experience. The new group will bring the current number of Fellows to 75.

For more information, see Foundation Fellows.