UGA police cars

A University of Georgia police car is parked in front of the police department.

Man locked in Main Library overnight, found next morning

Although the University of Georgia Main Library has a library security staff, they overlooked a man asleep on a bench when they closed and locked the library on July 29.

According to the police report, the man used the library’s public use facilities during normal business hours but began to feel ill. He then walked over to the benches near the computers on the first floor and laid down.

“[The man] advised he awoke later and observed the lights inside the building were off and the building had been locked down,” the report said.

Because he didn’t have a cell phone and was locked in, he went back to sleep. He was found the next morning, and police were called.

By the time police arrived, he was already gone. They later located him near Herty Field. 

Police searched his belongings to “ensure he was not in possession of property belonging to UGA,” the report said.

No property belonging to UGA was found.

The reporting party “believed it likely [the suspect] was missed by library security staff when they closed the building,” the report said.

Footage from that night corroborated the suspect’s story. Because of this, criminal prosecution of criminal trespass was declined, and the man was not barred from UGA property.

Student stalked on campus

After being stalked by her boyfriend on multiple occasions, a female University of Georgia student reported it to police on Aug. 1.

The victim was working at a booth for the UGA New Student Orientation at the Tate Student Center on Aug. 1 when her ex-boyfriend, an incoming freshman, approached her and cornered her, according to the police report.

“[The suspect] would stand near her display both and watch her,” the report said. “She had to back away from him and was stuck between him and the table behind her.”

The victim’s coworker had to step in so she could walk away, according to the report.

“She felt very uncomfortable and intimidated by his behavior,” the report said. “She was so upset she left the Tate Center crying and had to leave work early.”

This wasn’t the first time he located her and made her uncomfortable.

After breaking up in fall 2017 and wanting to get back together, the suspect found the victim’s location via Snapchat and began yelling and cursing at her. She told him not to contact her anymore and blocked his number and social media accounts, the report said.

“These actions have led [the victim] to believe that she is in fear for her own safety and she has thus endured emotional stress congruent with needing to leave work early due to her level of distress and discomfort,” the report said.

The investigation is ongoing, and the name of the suspect has not been released.