170320_JMS_BaldwinOnline_0021.jpg

President Jere W. Morehead speaks at a reinterment ceremony at the Oconee Hill Cemetery in Athens, Georgia on Monday, March 20, 2017. The ceremony was for the 105 unknown individuals whose bodies were discovered during the University of Georgia’s Baldwin Hall construction project. (Photo/Jane Snyder, janemarysnyder.com)

While I am disappointed, I am not surprised by the wildly inaccurate claims made in the letter submitted to my office yesterday by a small group of local activists. The University of Georgia handled the Baldwin Hall matter appropriately, and our response actually went far beyond what is required by the law. However, it is clear that a few individuals, obviously driven by a personal agenda, continue to try to leverage this issue and expand it to promote their own causes.

Let me restate, for the record, that once the first remains were discovered on the construction site in November 2015, we immediately contacted the appropriate authorities. We followed the guidance of the State Archaeologist’s Office in every step of the process, including selection of Oconee Hill Cemetery as the site for reinternment. We hired an external archaeological consultant to perform the work in an appropriate manner, and we also sponsored faculty research to learn more about the individuals whose remains were discovered.

We held a respectful memorial service for the community in March 2017, during which a prominent federal judge and local minister provided heartfelt remarks of remembrance. We commemorated the gravesite with a granite marker and provided funding to ensure its perpetual maintenance.

In 2018, I commissioned a broad-based task force of community and campus leaders, led by Dr. Michelle Cook, UGA’s Vice Provost for Diversity and Inclusion and Strategic University Initiatives, to develop a memorial to further honor the individuals whose remains were discovered on the Baldwin Hall site. The 18 members of this task force carefully considered all aspects of the tribute. In November [2018], we dedicated this beautiful new monument in front of Baldwin Hall with a granite marker which reads in part: “The University of Georgia recognizes the contributions of these and other enslaved individuals and honors their legacy.” Since its dedication, the memorial has served on numerous occasions as a gathering place for reflection and remembrance.

As President of this institution, I know the University has done what is right and has treated the remains of the individuals at Baldwin Hall with dignity and respect. I am troubled that many dedicated individuals—who represent a broad diversity of perspectives and backgrounds—have been maligned and personally attacked for doing their jobs in a responsible manner.

Despite what some might claim, our faculty are free to pursue research of their choosing and to seek external grants for support. The libelous claim in the letter that I would ever have said, “The University does enough for Black students,” is equally preposterous. I care deeply about the University of Georgia, our faculty, staff and students, and I remain committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment for every member of our community.

We are in the midst of a fundraising campaign to benefit the institution, and we are actively raising funds for scholarships that meet legal requirements. While we are not permitted to provide race-based undergraduate scholarships, we have created 400 need-based Georgia Commitment Scholarships over the last two years. These scholarships are transforming lives across the state by enabling students with significant financial need the opportunity to attend the University.

Going forward—with the support of our governing board, the University System of Georgia Board of Regents—I will remain focused on advancing the mission of this institution as I have done tirelessly for the last six years.

Sincerely,

Jere W. Morehead

President

dell123

An extraordinary share! I have simply sent this onto a buddy that has really been implementing a little research study on this. In addition to him, obtained me morning meal simply considered that I disclosed it for him ... lol. To allow me to rephrase this ... Many thanks for the recipe!! Yet yeah, many thanks for investing modern time to evaluate this subject right here on your website. elizabethjvazquez.wixsite.com/garrysmodbestgame

dell123

I was most absolutely worth your net site. Pleasant guards & design. Did you create this superb web site by yourself? Please get to back as I resemble to develop my surprisingly very own exclusive web website along with that, furthermore, demand to reveal where you got this from or especially what the style is called. Many thanks! https://thehotelinhyderabad.webnode.com/

Marko

A blog site web site is amongst your essential marketing and advertising gizmos. Customers like blog site web site sites as a result of the fact that they're usually full of remarkable at on the house information. Below are 5 concepts for establishing a remarkable blog website web site. Visit us

UgaCS18

Glad Morehead is defending himself and the University from shameless libel. UGA handled this well.