Opinion_Dean

An email notifying a student that they’re on the Dean's List for the Summer 2018 semester in Athens, Georgia on Sept. 10, 2018. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

The University of Georgia is considering changing Dean’s List requirements to better accommodate students with disabilities, according to an article by the Athens Banner-Herald. While this would specifically benefit disabled UGA students who often take lighter course loads to stay afloat, lowered required credits for the Dean’s List would benefit all students.

Current standards for the Dean’s List require students to take at least 14 credit hours and maintain a grade point average greater than or equal to 3.50. Students are not allowed to receive a grade below a B (3.0), according to the UGA Bulletin.

The educational affairs committee argues changing the required credit hours from 14 to 12. This solves the issue of disabled students taking their necessary lighter course loads. However, this could mean students graduate later, which UGA wants to avoid.  

“UGA Vice President for Instruction Rahul Shrivastav suggested another possibility — setting the limit to make those landing on the Dean’s List a certain percentage of the class, as at colleges such as Emory, which sets the limit at 20 percent of undergraduates,” the Athens Banner-Herald said.

In addition to setting percentage limits, UGA could increase Dean's List GPA requirements to accommodate for the decrease credit hours. Even though credit hours decreased, academic rigor does not have to be sacrificed. 

While definitive changes to Dean’s List requirements have not been confirmed, overall university requirements would benefit the heterogeneous campus of UGA.

All the colleges at UGA already have different requirements to get into their program, so it is beneficial to all students to have a university-wide standard for excellence. Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication requires a 2.8 whereas Terry College of business only requires a UGA 2.0. No matter what college a student is in, they can achieve academic honors.

With lowered credit requirement, all students, regardless of ability, will be able to achieve such excellence.

Students with disabilities deserve the right to be able to grace the Dean’s List at a level complementary to their abilities. If that means changing our universities system, then so be it. This would also help all students achieve their goal of pure academic excellence.  

dlward

After reading this article, I feel as though The University of Georgia is not acting unfairly. I am a student at Towson University, and for us to make Dean's list, you have to maintain full time status, which is 12 credits, and have at least a 3.5. If the University of Georgia lowered there credit hours from 14 to 12 hours, it's only a class difference. if they don't want student staying longer, maybe they should offer some sort of incentive if students graduate within the "normal" mount of time for their degree.

Thunderboltoftruth

.....not according to their ability, but according to their need.....