Hurricane Harvey

In the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, residents of Texas and Louisiana struggle for survival. Many have drowned or lost their homes due to the current flooding in Texas. Emergency officials urged people to move from their attics to the roofs in order to escape being washed away with the intense amounts of flooding in the area.

Now is an opportune moment for Americans to come together and show support for Texas and Louisiana. Citizens across the states need to work hand in hand and ensure that those affected by Hurricane Harvey know they have support from the people of Athens.

The employees at Georgia Gameday Center are collecting donations for the people affected by Harvey. They ask for anyone that wishes to donate to stop by their lobby on W Broad St. and bring donations to the front desk.

Jenny Spivey, the general manager at Georgia Gameday Center, decided to reach out to the Athens community in hopes of successfully accumulating a bulk of items to send to Texas and Louisiana.

“I have seen so many come together and show support for those affected,” Spivey said. “It has inspired and motivated my staff and I to help in any way possible.”

Verily, a Christian rock band, is hosting a benefit concert in Athens at the 40 Watt on Saturday, September 2. Tickets are $5.00 and all proceeds will benefit Hurricane Harvey victims.

David Ray Bridger, Verily’s founder, is optimistic that the prime Athens location will ensure a good turnout raise a lot of money.

“It’s not a big platform, but because we’re headlining at a really good venue in Athens, I want to do something,” Bridger said in an interview with Wayne Ford.

Oconee County Sheriff, Scott Berry, is ensuring he does everything he can do to help those affected. He set up a truck in the jail parking lot where people can drop off donations. The donations will then provide assistance to the states affected by Harvey.

The Red Cross of Northeast Georgia is collecting monetary donations, and has sent eight volunteers to assist with victims of Hurricane Harvey. The Red Cross wants to ensure that these people have a roof over their heads, somewhere to sleep at night, clean water and food to eat.

Anheuser-Busch brewery in Georgia is also concerned about clean water. In an effort to ensure that all of those affected have clean water to drink, they have taken a break bottling beer to instead can water to send to those affected by Harvey. They have provided more than 155,000 cans of clean water for the people of Texas and Louisiana.

There is a lot that Georgia and the Athens community can do to help those suffering from the devastating effects of Hurricane Harvey. Any single individual can reach out to any of the places mentioned above to help. A small contribution goes a long way. If everyone in the Athens community donated, the donations would make a significant dent in the extreme devastation left behind by Hurricane Harvey.