Missing Sundial

A pedestal that used to hold a historic bronze sundial sits in the Founders Memorial Garden at the University of Georgia Athens campus on Tue., April 15, 2014. Photo John Roark/ johnroarkmedia.com

During the week of finals, it’s easy to be locked up in your own personal bubble in an MLC study room. You may have managed to make some time to go to extracurriculars or hang out with friends downtown. However, there’s a lot more that this campus offers that you should take advantage of before you leave for summer.

To begin, there are so many different natural getaways on campus. There’s the Founder’s Garden on North campus near Gilbert Hall. In it, you can see all types of plants and enjoy some time on a bench under trees. There’s also the Latin American Ethnobotanical Garden near Baldwin Hall.

South Campus has the illustrious turtle pond in front of the ecology building. They’re friendly turtles, so if you stand in front of the pond the turtles will pop up out of the water in front of you.

On East Campus, there’s the Oconee Forest Park right next to the Intramural fields with 1.5 miles of hiking trails, a 1.2 mile mountain biking trail and a bridge that crosses Lake Herrick. Of course, there is also the wonderful Botanical Garden that is a short drive from campus.

If you don’t feel like going into nature and want to stay indoors, spend some time in the building when no one is there to get a feel of the vibe of the building. For example, the upper floors of Park Hall feels vintage, like the entire building should be wearing thick rimmed glasses and oxford shoes. The Ecology building, in contrast, feels clean, lean and inherently sustainable.

Also, some of the buildings are rumored to be haunted. Joe Brown is a famous example. It even has a staircase that leads to nowhere. It was rumored that when Joe Brown was still a dorm, a student living there during Christmas break died, and his spirit still roams the building. The department blocked off the part of the hall when remodeling it to house classrooms. Now there is a picture of Goethe on top of the stairs to nowhere. This is to supposedly let the ghost keep wandering the halls, keeping him occupied.

On a less spooky note, there’s also the Georgia Museum of Art that will be open and is free to everyone. Exhibitions are changing all the time, so if you get a chance to stop by, you might not even see the same exhibit twice.

As the school year comes to a close, it can be easy to forget that this campus offers more than just classrooms. You don’t have to go downtown or escape the city to enjoy what UGA has to offer. Before you leave for the summer, make sure to take advantage of all that this campus offers.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this article, it said Oconee Forest Park has more than 850 miles of trails. The Red & Black regrets this error.