161119_hpt_Drink_Cook_Likeanadult_thanksgiving-29.jpg

To drink like an adult, one must try to act like an adult. To cook Thanksgiving recipes and hearty meals for the whole family one must carefully prepare all dishes and components going into said dish. The Ampersand Magazine crew does all of this and more on November 2, 2016 in Athens, Georgia. (Photo: Henry Taylor/henrytaylorphoto@gmail.com)

I’m tired of the following trend: Halloween ends, and then people cautiously pull out their Christmas decorations in the first few weeks of November.

I get the excitement for Christmas, but there’s a whole commercial holiday that can be exploited, right?

Thanksgiving is certainly it’s own “thing,” a hard to describe cultural energy most Americans feel toward the holiday (even if you don’t celebrate it). But despite the holiday’s important (albeit colonialistic and bloody) roots in American history, I’m disappointed corporate America hasn’t marketed this holiday through songs, heartwarming movies and lawn decorations other than the giant turkey.

I want to be immersed something like the “Spooky Season” of Halloween or the “Holiday Spirit” of December. Halloween has the “Monster Mash” song, The Nightmare Before Christmas, mass celebrations like Wild Rumpus in Athens and other pieces of media or gatherings to celebrate All Hallow’s Eve.

Don’t get me started on Christmas. The 3.19 trillion dollars spent on this season alone should inform you on how much the American heart/wallet loves this holiday. There are the sales. There are the pre-sale sales. And then there’s the media. As a child, I could sneak around the house getting glimpses of different Christmas specials playing on multiple TVs. I’ll forever be thankful for the line, “You sit on a throne of lies!” from Elf.

And yet, all that November can show for is, what, the slaughter of 45 million turkeys for the American dinner table? There should at least be pop singers killin' soulful renditions of Thanksgiving themed songs on major television networks playing in the background. There should be artful, tear-jerking movies to watch as everyone nods off in their tryptophan induced sleep.

But there isn’t, and that’s a missed cultural opportunity I hope changes in my lifetime.

Thanksgiving should no longer be the cultural appetizer to Christmas, overshadowed by the ladder’s impressive library of nostalgic music, movies and events. Thanksgiving should be able to stand on its own in the weird, commercial land of American holidays.