CFA vs. Popeyes

Chick-fil-A's run as the best chicken sandwich may be coming to an abrupt end.

For those of you living under a rock, the beef between two of the most popular chicken fast-food chains in the country, Chick-fil-A and Popeyes, began when Popeyes tweeted about the release of its new chicken sandwich. Chick-fil-A proudly asserted its status as the original chicken sandwich, prompting a response from the Popeyes PR team and setting the stage for a duel between the companies.

As a Southern gal, I have had my fair share of fried chicken, and while Chick-fil-A is certainly a crowd favorite, a competitor was well overdue. I realized it was due diligence to contribute to my state and give both these chickens a taste.

Even though I had tasted the classic chicken sandwich from Chick-fil-A many times before, for this challenge, I felt that it would only be a fair chicken square off if I tasted both at the same time.

Beginning with the price, Chick-fil-A is the cheaper option at $3.05. The Popeyes sandwich, which was going for $3.99, is already pushing the limit.

The Popeyes sandwich was already far more complex than Chick-fil-A has ever been. With a signature Cajun spread slathered inside the top bun, Popeyes had created a stark contrast between the hot chicken and the soft brioche bun.

Chick-fil-A, on the other hand, has no sauce. While I never considered this a problem before, I started wondering why Chick-fil-A has never served its sandwich with sauce after tasting the Popeyes sandwich.

The chicken quality, perhaps the most important comparison, was the most difficult to differentiate. The chickens were very similar, but Popeyes had the bigger breast, winning them the point.

Chick-fil-A excels with crispy, golden breading. Popeyes had the crunch but seems greasier than the Chick-fil-A chicken. However, do not let this deter you from tasting the heavenly creation as the brioche bun absorbs much of this grease.

Buns, buns, buns. Hot, buttered, beautiful buns. Both Chick-fil-A and Popeyes have a similar bun, buttery and smooth with a slight sheen over the top. As if TemPurpedic, both buns respond absolutely wonderfully to any type of pressure. While both buns were delectable, the Popeyes sandwich had a slightly more golden hue and a better ratio of chicken to bread, giving it an edge.

Lastly, but never least, the pickles must be assessed. Chick-fil-A is known for its notoriously polarizing pickles. Unlike Chick-fil-A, Popeyes created a sour taste and an unmatched crunch with every bite. The pickles themselves are briny and tart but not soggy or awkward like Chick-fil-A’s are.

While Popeyes takes the crown for this round, Chick-fil-A’s’s chicken supremacy in Georgia will be fought a hard battle. After taking into account Chick-fil-A’s unmatched customer service, the original may come out on top. However, from a pure food standpoint, the Popeyes chicken sandwich provides a new and exciting challenge to Chick-fil-A’s dominance.