Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico may seem like it's own country, but it has been a territory of the United States since 1898, according to Time. Despite it's relations to the U.S., Puerto Ricans are still treated as second-class citizens in the United States. 

A Puerto Rican man sued the state of Georgia on June 25, claiming the state is unfairly testing Puerto Ricans knowledge of the island when applying for a state driver’s license and withholding their identification. The man says he has waited 600 days to receive his license but has still not gotten it. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution released the 43 potential questions that the Department of Driver Services could ask Puerto Rican applicants, containing several seemingly trick questions.

The discriminatory actions taken by DDS toward Puerto Rican applicants are emblematic of a larger issue. Despite Puerto Ricans’ status as U.S. citizens, they often do not receive the same level of treatment or concern that most U.S. citizens do.

Normally, when transferring an out-of-state driver’s license to Georgia, an applicant must submit their current driver’s license and documentation of their identity, address, social security number and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful residence. According to the lawsuit, plaintiff Kenneth Caban Gonzalez complied with those rules but had to answer questions about amphibians and cuisine of  Puerto Rico in addition to get governmental services.

Though the accusations in the lawsuit feel shocking, the United States often sees Puerto Ricans as second-class citizens.

The government often ignores Puerto Rico’s needs. Nothing underscores this more than the government’s failure for years to take proper action in helping Puerto Rico after the devastating impact of Hurricane Maria in 2017. Even now, Puerto Rico has not received the amount of support it needs to recover. 

Perhaps the United States would take Puerto Rico’s problems more seriously if the island were a state. In 2017, the territory approved statehood in a referendum. Despite low turnout,  97% of voters said Puerto Rico should be a state.

Instead of listening to what Puerto Ricans want — statehood — and possibly assuaging the issues seen in the Georgia driver’s licenses, the federal government turned Puerto Rican statehood into a political issue. After Puerto Rican statehood gained support in the House of Representatives, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell bragged he would kill the legislation, in part because it would give the Democrats two more Senators.

The situation described in the lawsuit against the Georgia DDS is disturbing. To solve the root of the problem, we need to listen to Puerto Ricans and treat them as we would any other Americans.

Rodolfo Lasparri

Unfortunate this information is not complete, and repeats the debunked Leftist narrative that Puerto Rico didn't get a proper amount of aid.

This report is slanted so much, that the writer seems to be a SJW activist, posting as a journalist.

Fraud and corruption are rampant on PR. Despite paying $0 U.S income tax, and keeping every penny, PR dug itself in a $70+ debt hole via ineptness and corruption.

Due to fraud, Puerto Rican IDs need to be checked when applying for an ID on the mainland. However, the questions given by GA, if true, are waaay out of line.

Not Fun fact:

Per FEMA, out of 70 plus mayors on PR, the mayor of San Juan was the only mayor not to attend FEMA meetings. Then she made up lies "we're getting no aid!!" to to garner media time, and position herself as a hero of the people, whilst her own people suffered due to her whoring for the camera. What a vile human being.

Less than a year later, tons of aid was found rotting in containers San Juan.

TheLWord

I agree with Thunderbolt, you should have DONE research. Yes, the most likely reason for the questioning is due to the invalidation of Puerto Rican birth certificates before 2010. The misuse of certificates by undcoumented aliens, scammers, and criminals was rampant. I even saw an Unsolved Mysteries episode from 1992 where a Serbian criminal who was illegally in the U.S. was using a Puerto Rican birth certificate he purchased on the black market to prevent law enforcement of finding out who he truly was. Also, in the recent statehood referendum 97% of voters voted for statehood, HOWEVER, 77% of eligible voters BOYCOTTED THE referendum due to the wording of the ballot by pro-statehood governor Luis Fortuno. That 97% of voters totaled 23% of eligible voters. Hence only 23% of Puerto Ricans voted for statehood. The other 77% who stayed home DO NOT WANT STATEHOOD. You need to perform Due Diligence on topics you obviously have no clue about.

Thunderboltoftruth

You should have done some research on the issue, because the reason for the test is the rampant and ongoing fraud pertaining to PR birth certificates and other government IDs. The territorial government itself along with the federal government will not accept any PR birth certificate issued prior to July 1 2010 due to the level of fraud. This has nothing to do with “treating Puerto Ricans as second class citizens” or not listening to them and everything to do with the rampant fraud surrounding PR gov’t. issued documents.

Rodolfo Lasparri

Thunder's info is 100% on point/true.