1612130_CLS_BowlGame_0002.jpg (copy)

Plane flights can be cheap with the proper planning. Photo taken on Dec. 30, 2016. (Photo/Casey Sykes, www.caseysykes.com)

University life affords stretches of work with long breaks during winter and summer. Such breaks allow the wanderlusters out there an opportunity to travel, but the perceived high prices for travel and the elusiveness of good deals act as obstacles for adventurous experiences.

However, there are many ways in which students can find cheap plane tickets and travel to the places they want to go.

Students must plan ahead for plane travel in order to grow and learn new things.

To do this, students should search in incognito windows to see the lowest price, since some flight prices may appear to increase after repeated searches otherwise. Plan for a specific day, as well, since weekday flights will usually be cheaper. Some locations are also cheaper than others, so if your goal is just to learn and experience new things, fly to a cheaper city (such as Orlando or Detroit) instead of searching for extraordinary, luxurious locations. 

Before you start any kind of search for a plane ticket, be sure to you are using the right search engine. For example, Skyscanner is a browser that connects viewers to the cheapest flights out of certain cities within the past fifteen days. The beauty of this site in particular is that it looks at cities with smaller/less trafficked airports such as the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport  (compared to Hartsfield-Jackson). With smaller airports come more budget friendly plane tickets. Other good flight search engines include Kiwi, AirFare Watchdog, Momondo and Google Flights to compare flight costs.

In addition to that, try to familiarize yourself with the budget airlines out there. Frontier is the most popular one, often having flights that run under 100 dollars. However, they have strict baggage guidelines, especially for carry-ons. Your bag should be within the dimensions of a 10 inch depth, 16 inch width and 24 inch height, exceeding no more than 35 pounds. This may be a bit constricting for those who want to do extended traveling, but it is the price to pay for a cheaper plane ticket. Other budget airlines include Spirit Airlines and Allegiant Air.

Finally, it’s best to book tickets in advance. It’s rare that you’ll see a plane ticket get cheaper as the depart day grows closer, so be sure to plan trips at least a month in advance.

This also gives you plenty of time to spot airfare errors, or plane tickets that are at a ridiculously reduced price because of some sort of error that occured on the part of the airline. This could include human error, such as a person simply typing in the wrong price, or currency conversion error. Whatever the cause may be, there are many tickets at a reduced price that exist out there for you to snatch up, so keep a lookout.

There are many ways students can get past the steep cost of plane tickets. With a little resourcefulness and finesse, you can get an affordable ticket to your dream destination this spring break or summer.

While Athens, Georgia, is nice, it cannot encompass all the culture, environments and different ways of living in this world. Only traveling to different places can you get a different experience.

Sometimes, though, travel can be uncomfortable with all of the new and different surroundings. Travel propels you into adulthood, an ominous anxiety for many still in their undergraduate classes. It forces you to be confident, future-oriented and smart about your decisions, in addition to be a sensory stimulating and memorable experience.

There are an infinite number of reasons why students should travel, but the high cost of college education presents a huge burden, and plane tickets are typically not in the regular student’s budget.

The cost of a ticket is meager compared to the benefit received from traveling. Budget airlines such as Frontier and helpful flight apps such as Skyscanner can enable students to fly for less, which means even less obstacles to traveling the world and learning new things.