postcards

Courtesy Flickr

The end of the semester is near, which means an immense amount of break time where you will want to keep up with your friends through social media and texting. It’s fast, easy and good for keeping a conversation going while helping parents cook meals, shopping or fretting over the next semester. But written communication through a smartphone has lost a sense of personality and charm.

That’s why sending postcards to friends over break is a great way to communicate how your days are going while showing how much you care about them.

Handwritten correspondence is a dying species, and it is a pity because it’s so beautiful (yes, even if you have chicken-scratch doctor handwriting). Writing long-hand is slow, deliberate and requires more effort and resources than a phone with battery. By putting pen to glossy paper, you ingrain your message in a permanence that your friend can keep as a reminder of this moment you shared with each other. The postcard becomes a memento of who you currently are, who your friend currently is and this chunk of time you both are living in.

And what’s more, it’s a memento of where you live. Whether you live in your hometown with your parents or someplace else, there’s sure to be a shop that makes postcards for your town only. Your town’s postcards are rare and valuable in your life, since you’re likely to move places once you graduate college. By writing to your friend on a postcard from your hometown, you are sharing a small snippet of your hometown in some visual way, represented on the postcard. A piece of your hometown will live with your friend, and if they send a postcard to you, you get to keep a piece of where they grew up with you.

Overall, we don’t send written letters to each other often enough, which is such a pity since it’s an intimate and charming form of communication. Sure it takes longer than a text and requires dropping it off at the post office or mailbox, but the joy the recipient gets is much greater than that from a text message. Tis the season of giving, after all.

This skill will be all the more rare and valuable as we progress in advancements in communication and technology, so practice over break when you’re away from your UGA friends. You’ll appreciate it, they’ll appreciate it, and you’ll show you care about each other.