There is a way around every cop, but when it comes to a traffic ticket, honesty is not the best policy.

I used to think that every officer was out to get me, just to fulfill his daily quota of traffic tickets.

But, after so many times of getting pulled over for basic traffic violations - speeding, running red lights or driving too close to someone - I have finally begun to realize the art of getting out of a traffic ticket.

What is the first thing that most cops say when they approach your window?

"Good afternoon Miss, do you know why I pulled you over today?"

Regardless of the fact that you know exactly what you did wrong, just answer, "no."

Because once you confirm your actions with complete recognition, your plan of action to get out of your ticket is entirely shot.

However, there is a certain balance of disclosure that you can admit to which may help the officer understand your situation.

But, there are a few things you must do before you begin to disclose guilt.

First and foremost, check your attitude the moment you pull over because fighting with a cop will not get you anywhere.

Then, engage in a form of flattery in which you can appeal to the cop in a humanistic way.

Your ultimate goal is to make the officer smile and, ideally chuckle, break him out of "cop mode" and snap him out of the badged robot that law enforcement training has built.

Once you have established a more comfortable relationship with your officer, then it is time to begin discussing the details of your violation.

The worst thing to assume is that traffic officers are out to get you - they want to help, but you have to be willing to cooperate.

And ladies, although there does exist a successful correlation between cleavage and ticket freebees, it doesn't always mean that adjusting the neckline of your shirt is going to save you from getting a ticket - but I guess it can't hurt to try.

Keep in mind that some days and some cops are just not going to buy it and all you can do is your best.

Take for instance the other day when I got pulled over on 316 for speeding - I put my good graces to the test and dazzled that traffic officer with all of my wits and charm.

I have this cop in the bag, I thought to myself.

Upon returning, the cop said to me, "Girl, you are smiling way too much for your situation - 79 mph in a 55 mph zone and you're 15 minutes late for class - you're making me happy though."

As he hands over my speeding ticket, I thought to myself, unfortunately the perfect plan does not always get you out of a ticket.

It is in these unfortunate cases that you may just have to consider the alternatives and avoid these incidents altogether.

Do a little research and find out where the hot spots are for traffic violations.

For Bulldog Nation, we know that 316 and Loop 10 are the worst places to try and be in a hurry or run a red light.

My friend was driving from Atlanta to Athens the other day and said he saw at least 10 different vehicles pulled over by different traffic troopers.

However, if you were born with lead foot DNA, like myself, or maybe you have an uncontrollable desire to run red lights for the thrill, you may want to consider purchasing a fuzz buster.

If you're willing to throw down some heavy bucks, a top of the line radar detector will inform you when the cops are tracking your every move.

Just three traffic violations can cost you up to $600, cause detrimental damage to your insurance plan and, depending on the type of your violations, a suspended license could be issued.

Therefore, if you cannot master your police officer rapport then a radar detector might be your smartest choice.

- Kori Price is a senior from Glenns Ferry, Idaho majoring in newspapers.