sv.jpg

From left to right: Caleb Colburn, Tommy Cosgrove, Mary Claire Ackerman, and Hannah Stockdale. 

University of Georgia’s facility management isn’t going to be the only department dealing with weeds. Because Georgia House Bill 324 passed on April 2, UGA’s new research crop could be medical marijuana.

UGA and Fort Valley State University will be allowed to “produce, manufacture and purchase low THC oil,” overseen by the Georgia Access to Medical Cannabis Commission.

Medical Marijuana was legalized in Georgia in 2015, but it isn’t legal to grow, purchase, sell or transport marijuana oil – unless Gov. Brian Kemp signs the bill into law. There’s strong evidence suggesting he will do so.

With medical marijuana in UGA’s midst, we asked what students thought about the University of Ganja.

"It’s a good thing, at least for medical use, because I know there are documented benefits, reasonably well research to medical marijuana, so I think it’s great that at least that’s being utilized. And I think it’s really good that UGA is trying to grow it — and I assume do research on it as well. More information is good, and I think UGA growing weed is a positive thing."

Caleb Colburn is a first year computer science major.

"I don’t see any reason we shouldn’t. It’s a growing market, and also it’s being legalized in most areas—Washington, D.C. legalized it. It has a lot of medicinal benefits for people going through cancer or chemotherapy, that kind of stuff. My aunt has cancer and she’s going through chemo and she was medical marijuana, and it’s helped her a lot."

Brenna Butler is a freshman environmental health science and social work double major.

"Medical marijuana should be allowed in Georgia. Recreational is more controversial, but medically it has so many benefits, and specifically a few types of cancers in a paper I wrote are the go-to medications for it … It should be legalized at the federal level but devolve to the state level because different local areas will have different preferences for strengths, compounds, what not. But overall, I support."

Tommy Cosgrove is a freshman finance major.

"I never supported Kemp and never supported his ideals, so I can’t support him in anything he decides. But, I do feel this is the kind of thing that is unexpected from him because it’s very progressive … But it’s hard to celebrate the victories when there are so many bigger things going on. Not saying this isn’t important, but if you see his views on abortion, that’s way further ahead weed."

Mary Claire Ackerman is a freshman women’s studies and communications major.

"I think it makes people wonder about the people in jail for weed charges. That needs to be addressed if we’re going to start growing it for any purpose. I feel like on Netflix now there are so many shows about cooking with weed, but I feel like I can’t even look at them without remembering people locked up for it. When this gets out, people will make noise about people locked up for weed."

Hannah Stockdale is a sophomore psychology major.

"I feel like that would be pretty useful. I think it’s an interesting thing to look into. I would agree that it could be very useful, especially treating certain painful diseases. And I think that some people actually need it for good reasons. I could support it."

Patricia Froistad is a senior finance major.

"Because I do research, I understand why different labs will want to pursue different ways...I think since marijuana is a plant, people should be able to do research on it if it grows, so—why not."

Joalinah Pitaud is a senior biochemistry and molecular biology major.