OPINION_StudentVoices

The student listed in this week's student voices are as follows: left, top to bottom, is Wood Smith and Cedrick Haney. Middle is Mira Sutaria. Right, top to bottom, is Madison Abrams and Lia Morris. 

While the University of Georgia gets national attention in the fall for football, it’s racial controversy that puts UGA back on the map this spring.

The Xi-Lambda chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon at UGA was suspended after a video showing members saying racist remarks went viral.

An unidentified member repeatedly said “pick my cotton” followed by derogatory and racial slurs. The university condemned these racist actions on their Twitter account, stating that the school condemns racism and that “racism has no place on our campus.”

Students weighed in on the TKE video gaining national attention.

Lia Morris - A junior political science major.

"Obviously, I understand that people are protected under the freedom of speech. I don’t know if I would say that they should be expelled. I don’t know if we should ostracize them or jeopardize their education. I know that people make mistakes, and this was really, in my opinion, a big mistake. But I think there should be consequences. People who get in trouble with alcohol freshman year in their dorms, or who get in trouble with cheating, that goes on someone’s record. I think this should go on their record too.”

Wood Smith - A junior animal science major.

“I think [the suspension of the fraternity at UGA] may have been a bit too harsh. We need to figure out if it was just an isolated incident or the culture within. I’ve heard it was a good fraternity. It might just be the incoming freshmen who’s too dumb or who comes from a background different from the main organization, so I think maybe [UGA should not be] so quick punishing the fraternity itself, punish the students themselves. I wouldn’t say they should be expelled, but discipline would be the right course of action."

Mira Sutaria - A senior biology major.

“At first [I felt] anger then a lot of disappointment that people think it’s OK to do stuff like that and say stuff like that. I don’t understand why it’s taking so long to take action from the university’s side. It definitely wasn’t a minor offense, it hurt an entire population of people, so I think action should have been taken as rapidly as possible. It’s sad that people have to be active on social media and Overheard UGA [Facebook group] for it to cause some actual change in administration.”

Madison Abrams - A sophomore communications and sociology double major.

"Honestly, in this university, we shouldn’t really be surprised because it’s just a reflection of things that happen every single day … I mean we saw a similar thing when UGA found the slave remains. We all know the history of this university. Until the university says “OK, we’ve moved past this, we want to embrace everyone regardless of where they come from and we want to actually preach about diversity but actually implement and support the people who represent diversity,” it won’t really show their stance."

Cedrick Haney - A senior marketing and management double major.

“I feel like it’s crazy that things like that are still going on at this school, and I just hope that they end up getting justice. Like maybe expel the people that were involved, especially the incident last semester with the football game and now this. I hope the school does something about it.”

snowflakejones

Any updates from UGA on Irami Osei-Frimpong? The teaching assistant who said.."Some white people may have to die for black communities to be made whole in this struggle to advance to freedom. … [To suggest otherwise is] ahistorical and dangerously naive.”

I love it how UGA condemns the frat about the video. "The University of Georgia condemns racism in the strongest terms. Racism has no place on our campus. We will continue our efforts to promote a welcoming and supportive learning environment for our students, faculty and staff."

BUT when a teacher does it UGA's view is this..."Regarding his latest comments, a spokesperson at UGA’s Equal Opportunities Office said in an email to former Campus Reform Correspondent Andrew Lawrence that Osei-Frimpong’s views expressed his “personal opinion,” in his “personal capacity,” on a private platform.

The spokesperson also asked Lawrence to contact their office if any information was discovered that showed Osei-Frimpong made “discriminatory or harassing comments” in his capacity as a member of the UGA community.

Some of Osei-Frimpong’s UGA colleagues have gone as far to defend his previous comments about white Americans. UGA Associate Professor of Brain and Behavioral Science Dr. Janet Frick once tweeted that the TA’s comments were not hate speech, but rather “hurt your feelings speech.”

Hypocrisy at its best. UNBELIEVABLE.