You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Signs of the times in Athens

• 1 min to read
200324_ks_EmptyDT_0001 copy.jpg

The Georgia Theatre leaves a message for Athens residents during the COVID-19 crisis. Photo taken in Athens, Georgia, on March 24, 2020. (Photo/ Kathryn Skeean, kskeean@randb.com)

Remembering one year of COVID-19

Step back through the past year as signs around town document the ways that Athens residents and businesses have communicated through written messages during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

200320_tmg_piedmonttesting_0006.jpg

A notice taped to empty Walmart shelves asks customers to limit the amount of cleaning and disinfecting items in Athens, Georgia on Friday, March 20, 2020.

200321_tmg_corona_0001.jpg

Normaltown neighbors celebrate the birth of a new baby through chalk messages on March 21, 2020 in Athens, Georgia. 

200322_tmg_corona_0027.jpg

A hand-written note taped to the window of Marvin's Shoe Service announces their temporary closure due to COVID-19 in downtown Athens, Georgia on Sunday, March 22, 2020. On Thursday, March 19, the Athens-Clarke County government passed mandatory "shelter-in-place" laws that forced the closure of "non-essential" businesses and urged citizens to avoid unecessary trips outside their homes, limit gatherings to 10 people, and maintain six feet of distance between others. (Photo/Taylor Gerlach)

200406_tmg_piedmontsigns_0005.jpg

Signs and chalk drawings outside of Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center placed to support healthcare workers in Athens, Georgia on Monday, April 6, 2020. (Photo/Taylor Gerlach)

200324_ks_EmptyDT_0002.jpg

The 40 Watt Club leaves a message for Athens residents during the COVID-19 crisis. Photo taken in Athens, Georgia, on March 24, 2020. (Photo/ Kathryn Skeean, kskeean@randb.com)

200405_tmg_marti_0001.jpg

The front porch of Marti's at Midday overflows with flowers and notes from loved ones on Sunday, April 5, 2020 to celebrate the life of Martha "Marti" Elizabeth Schimmel, 48, who died on April 2, 2020 in Athens, Georgia. Schimmel owned and operated her award-winning restaurant and catering company in Athens' Normaltown neighborhood since 2002. Friends and family in the area honored her life by flooding the front porch of her business with the flowers she loved. (Photo/Taylor Gerlach)

200406_tmg_piedmontsigns_0001.jpg

03132021_tmg_ga theater

The Georgia Theatre displays a sign encouraging Athens' residents to keep spirits and masks up on March 13, 2021. The venue has not hosted a live event in about a year since the COVID-19 pandemic shut down Athens' live music scene. (Photo/Taylor Gerlach; taylormckenziephotography.com)