Georgia Football versus Kentucky

Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray (11) is on his hands and knees after being hurt during the second quarter of a NCAA football game against Kentucky at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Ga., on Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013. Murray left the game and was taken to the hospital. (photo/David C Bristow, dbristow65@gmail.com)

Updated: Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray was taken to St. Mary's Hospital in Athens to undergo an MRI after suffering a "left knee injury" during Saturday's game against Kentucky.

"He went to the hospital to get an MRI and we'll just wait and see. He hurt it on the [28-yard run in the second quarter] and it was bothering him," head coach Mark Richt said. 

The senior from Tampa, Fla., was seen down on the field clutching his leg after throwing a tipped-pass interception on the goal line with 2:17 left to play in the first half. He appeared to have been hit during the play by a Wildcats defensive lineman and had to be helped off the field by UGA trainers. Replays showed he was in visible pain. At that point, the Bulldogs held a 28-10 lead over Kentucky.

Later, photographers caught Murray on crutches being helped into a patrol car outside of Sanford Stadium bound for the hospital.

The exact nature of his injury has not yet been officially determined, though an exact diagnosis could come as soon as Sunday. Richt did express doubt that Murray would be able to play next Saturday against in-state rival Georgia Tech.

"I think it’d be tough for him to play this week. I wouldn’t count out the bowl just yet."

Murray finished the final home game of his college career with one of his finest performances as a Bulldog, going 18 of 23 for 183 yards passing and four touchdowns.

"Before the injury, he did a good job. He's broken some records that probably won't be broken for a long time. He's played at a high level, especially this year," Richt said.

Keep checking the Red & Black for more updates as they become available.