UGA vs. Kentucky Football

UGA quarterback Aaron Murray keeps his arm warm during the first half of a NCAA football game against Kentucky in Athens, Ga., on Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013. (Photo/Erin O. Smith, eosmit8@uga.edu)

Aaron Murray’s season and college career are over. Georgia’s senior quarterback sustained a torn anterior cruciate ligament late in the second quarter of the Bulldog’s (7-4, 5-3 SEC) 59-17 win over Kentucky (2-9, 0-7 SEC) Saturday night. Murray will undergo surgery at St. Mary’s hospital Tuesday where the initial MRI was performed to repair a torn left ACL.

Murray was brought down by Kentucky’s Za’Darius Smith after his pass was tipped and intercepted by Khalid Henderson at the Kentucky 2-yard line with 2:17 left in the half. He had initially tweaked his knee on a 28-yard run to start the second quarter, but continued to see snaps.

"He was adamant that he wanted to play and that he was fine, so I said get on the headset and convince your coach," head coach Mark Richt said. "Mike [Bobo] said, 'I better see you running around on the sideline before I put you back in there.' And he convinced him."

The quarterback played nearly the entire first half before his senior night performance was cut short. Murray completed 18 of 23 passes on the night for 183 yards, 4 touchdowns and his lone, fateful interception.

He was re-evaluated by team physicians Sunday morning. Surgery will proceed earlier than the customary 10 to 14 days following the injury after Murray experienced minimal swelling.

The post-surgery rehabilitation process will begin immediately, and team physicians are expecting a full recovery.

The quarterback hit the 3,000 passing yards mark Saturday evening on a 16-yard touchdown pass to Todd Gurley for the fourth consecutive season. Murray is now the only Southeastern Conference quarterback and only the third NCAA quarterback to have thrown for 3,000 yards in each of his four years.

Despite his college career ending two and a half games earlier than expected, Murray racked up a number of SEC records during his time under center. He is the SEC leader in completions (921), total offense (13,554 yards), touchdown passes (121) and passing yards (13,166), and started 52 consecutive games for the Bulldogs. He is 35-17 in his career as Georgia’s starting quarterback.