20190602_dr_UGAvFAUBaseball0005.jpg

Georgia player Aaron Schunk (22) high fives the third base coach after scoring the first home run of the game. The Georgia Bulldogs win with a 13-0 shut out against the Florida Atlantic Owls in the NCAA playoffs in Athens, Georgia on June 2, 2019. (Photo/Daniela Rico)

Georgia third baseman and closer Aaron Schunk was drafted by the Colorado Rockies with the No. 62 pick on Day One of the MLB Draft Monday night.

The junior is now the highest drafted Bulldog since pitcher Robert Tyler was selected by the Rockies with the No. 38 pick in the 2016 draft.

Schunk was the first Bulldog to earn the “Triple Crown” since 2010, leading the team with 15 home runs, 58 RBIs and a .339 batting average. The Atlanta, Ga. native appeared as a closer 17 times throughout the season, totaling 12 saves to go with a 2.49 ERA.

Although Schunk is a finalist for the John Olerud Award — given to the nation’s top two-way player — the Rockies drafted him as a third baseman only.

At the Athens regional over the weekend, Schunk was named to the All-Tournament team thanks to his .375 average to go along with four home runs and 13 RBIs from the four games.

In the 2018-19 season, Schunk started 56 of the 63 games at third base for the No. 7 ranked Bulldogs and helped the team earn the fourth overall seed in the NCAA Championships and a regional final appearance

Prior to his breakout this year, Schunk showed steady improvement in his previous two years at Georgia. Freshman year, he had a .290 average with one home run and 18 RBIs in 37 games. Sophomore year, he bumped up his average to .299, including three home runs and 38 RBIs in 60 games.

Besides impressive production on the field with the Bulldogs, Schunk has also been awarded with many honors off the field. Those include being a member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll for three years as well as being a part of the 2019 SEC Community Service Team.