Terry Godwin's one handed grab

Georgia receiver Terry Godwin (5) makes a catch against Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana, on Saturday, September 9, 2017. © 2017 Perry McIntyre.

Terry Godwin was selected by the Carolina Panthers as the 237th player in the 2019 NFL Draft. While picks that low often aren’t expected to contribute right away, Carolina is a team that presents an opportunity for Godwin to work his way up the depth chart.

The receiving corps struggled for the Panthers last season, as no receiver cracked the 800-yard mark and running back Christian McCaffrey led the team in receiving.

The leading returning receiver is D.J. Moore, who caught 55 passes for 788 yards and a pair of touchdowns as a rookie in 2018. The only other receiver over 500 yards last year, Devin Funchess, left in free agency for the Colts.

This leaves the Panthers in a sort of by-committee approach at receiver behind Moore. As a late-round pick, Godwin will be asked to contribute on special teams at first, but if he proves himself there he could see his role in the passing game increase.

Godwin could also possibly get a shot at returning punts with the departure of 2018’s leading punt returner Damiere Byrd. The other two Panthers to return punts, Moore and Kenjon Barner, combined to average less than five yards per return.