Georgia vs. Missouri

Mike Thornton (96) and Ramik Wilson (51) take down Matt Mauk (7) for a sack, Saturday, October 11, 2014, in Faurot Field. (Photo/Tyler Cain).

When asked to describe the Arkansas offense, senior defensive linemen Mike Thornton was brief.

“They are physical, they are huge humans and they are good at what they do,” Thornton said.

What Arkansas is good at is running the ball. The Razorbacks lead the Southeastern Conference in rushing, averaging 278.67 yards per game. The Razorbacks have also scored 21 rushing touchdowns, tied with Georgia for the most in the conference.

For the Georgia defense, stopping the potent ground game will be the key to defeating the Razorbacks.

“They’ll test you. They’ll see if you are a tough defense,” senior linebacker Ramik Wilson said. “We know they are just going to try and run it down our throat.”

Georgia boasts the second-best rushing defense in the SEC, giving up an average of 101 yards per game. Last week the defense held the Missouri Tigers to 50 yards rushing on 22 carries, Missouri's worst output of the season.

The defense hopes to build off this success in Little Rock, Arkansas, where this week’s game will be played.

“We are going to carry the momentum over from last week and just be ready to play,” Toby Johnson said.

While Arkansas has yet to win an SEC game, it is coming off a one point home loss to Alabama, a game in which they out-gained the Crimson Tide. They also boast the No. 4 and No. 6 rushers in the SEC in Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams.

“It is a run-heavy league anyways but we are prepared,” Thornton said. “We just gotta do what we do.”

Georgia will be seeing a different style of offense than it did in Columbia, Missouri. While Missouri runs many four and five wide receiver sets, Arkansas often lines up with two and three tight end sets.

And even though Missouri was held scoreless, the members of the defense know that it is a new week and a new, different opponent.

“It’s a new week. We barely looked at Missouri,” Wilson said. “They are a physical team, but with the game plan we got this week, it’s gonna be fun for us.”

While Georgia came out with a three-safety defense against Missouri, this week’s defense figures to be more conventional,  given the opponent. Wilson knows that the defense is going to have to adjust, while still putting up results similar to Missouri.

“We are not the same defense that is gonna come out every time,” Wilson said. “We are going to be something different and give the same effort.”

When summing up the matchup between Arkansas’ rushing attack and Georgia’s rush defense Johnson also was brief.

“It is going to be an all-out fight.”