180403_JF_baseballgt_0033.jpg

The University of Georgia's Mason Meadows bats against Georgia Tech on Tuesday night in Athens, Ga. April 3rd, 2018 (Photo/Justin Fountain, justingf@uga.edu)

In game two of a three-game series in Nashville, Tennessee, Georgia fell to Vanderbilt 5-3 on Friday to even the series at one apiece and set up a rubber match on Saturday afternoon.

In the bottom of the fourth inning, the Commodores appeared to have Georgia starter Ryan Webb figured out, as they managed three straight hits and two walks to plate three runs and pull ahead 5-2 heading into the fifth inning.

That fourth inning outburst was all the Commodores would need, as Georgia remained quiet on offense for the rest of the game. Vanderbilt reliever Chandler Day came into the game in the top of the fifth inning and dominated the Georgia hitters, pitching five innings and striking out 10 while allowing just four hits. Georgia managed to plate one run off Day in the top of the ninth, but it was not enough, as senior Mitchell Webb struck out to end the 5-3 game.

The Bulldogs and Commodores traded runs back and forth often in the early innings. Vanderbilt struck first with one run in the bottom of the first inning, but Georgia quickly answered with two runs in the top of the second to gain a 2-1 advantage. Vanderbilt then responded in the bottom of the second, tying the game on a solo home run by right fielder Pat DeMarco.

Despite the lack of late offense for Georgia, catcher Mason Meadows tallied a career-high three hits in the game, including an RBI single in the top of the second that gave Georgia its first lead.

Reliever Will Proctor replaced Ryan Webb in the bottom of the fifth and retired three straight batters in the inning, then pitched another scoreless inning in the bottom of the sixth. Blake Cairnes followed out of the bullpen and retired six straight Vanderbilt batters in the seventh and eighth innings, completing a scoreless outing for the Georgia bullpen.

Senior Keegan McGovern left the game in the bottom of the fourth inning and was replaced in left field by Mitchell Webb. The reason for his departure was not evident. McGovern has started every game this season and has been a force on offense for the Bulldogs, batting .361 with 10 home runs and a team-leading .713 slugging percentage heading into Friday's game.