MikeBigDawgWoods_EvanStichler_Online.jpg

Georgia vs Florida Fans

Georgia superfan Mike "Big Dawg" Woods, who was known for painting his head to resemble a Bulldog, has died at the age of 65, the Madison County Coroner's Office confirmed.

The Madison County Coroner's Office said Woods, a native of Colbert, passed away on Jan. 4 due to a "cardiac event."

Woods could be seen at Georgia games wearing his signature black overalls with a red t-shirt and, of course, his head painted to resemble a classic Georgia logo. He was a hit with other fans and was often asked to take pictures.

“I have only missed one Georgia/Florida game out of 43 years,” Woods said in 2013. “It was 1987, I had back surgery done and they wouldn’t let me out. They knew one way or another I would have been down there.”

Woods wasn't the originator of the head-painting tradition, as his father, Lonnie Lee Woods, started painting his head during the 1980 season. Lonnie Woods died in 1987, and Woods continued his father's tradition in 1990. A 2013 article in The Red & Black said Trent Woods, Woods' son, would continue the tradition when his father died.

Woods was recognized many times for his unique way of supporting his favorite team, including as the subject of a story published by ESPN in 2015.