190101_CRM_SugarBowl_GAvTexas0091.jpg

University of Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm (11) runs during the Allstate Sugar Bowl on Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at the Mercedes Benz Superdome in New Orleans. (Photo/Christina R. Matacotta, crmatacotta@gmail.com)

For the first time in several years, there seems to be absolutely no question about who will be Georgia’s starting quarterback.

Jake Fromm is unquestionably the guy for the Bulldogs, and his position was solidified even further after the transfer of Justin Fields to Ohio State in January. Fromm completed 67.4 percent of his passes and threw for 2,749 yards as a sophomore in 2018, including 30 passing touchdowns and just six interceptions. The rising junior from Warner Robins, Georgia, has a 23-5 record as the Bulldogs’ starting quarterback and high-level play is reasonably expected from him each time out.

For that reason, most of the suspense in Georgia’s quarterback room surrounds the two players competing for the spot behind Fromm on the depth chart. Georgia’s other two scholarship quarterbacks are freshmen and early enrollee D’Wan Mathis and junior college transfer Stetson Bennett IV.

Mathis, a four-star recruit from Belleville, Michigan, signed with the Bulldogs on Dec. 19 after flipping his commitment from Ohio State. He is the nation’s 11th-ranked pro-style quarterback prospect, according to the 247Sports Composite, and the ninth-ranked prospect from the state of Michigan.

At 6-foot-6 and 205 pounds, Mathis has size to go along with strong mobility to extend plays outside of the pocket. But, he could benefit to add some weight throughout his freshman year and add to his tall frame.

Bennett was a walk-on and scout team quarterback for the Bulldogs in 2017 before transferring to Jones County Junior College in Ellisville, Mississippi, to pursue a scholarship opportunity. He led Jones to a 10-2 record and threw for 1,840 yards and 16 passing touchdowns. At 5-foot-11 and 190 pounds, he has a slight frame, but his familiarity with Georgia’s system and coaching staff make him a strong contender to be Fromm’s primary backup.

At the surface, it would be fair to assume Bennett is the early favorite to win the backup job. He has more experience with Georgia’s offensive system and it may be wise for the Bulldogs to redshirt Mathis to preserve his eligibility. However, Mathis’ talent and tools could push him to the backup job should he pick up the playbook quickly.

With another strong season as Georgia’s starting quarterback, Fromm could forego his senior season and enter the 2020 NFL Draft as a first-round prospect. So, this spring’s competition for his backup job could have a major effect on the future of the quarterback position for the Bulldogs.