171007_JMS_vandyball_online_0026.jpg

Andrew Thomas (71) blocks during a game against Vanderbilt in Nashville, Tennessee on Oct. 7, 2017 (Photo/Jane Snyder, www.janemarysnyder.com)

For the second straight season, the strength of the Georgia football team will be among the players who battle in the trenches on the offensive side of the ball.

Georgia is once again loaded at the offensive line position heading into spring practice. The Bulldogs will return four starters from 2019, losing only one starter in veteran center Lamont Gaillard.

In 2018, this position group was a hit with a number of injuries. While a negative, from a different perspective, it’s a positive. It opened up opportunities for high-rated offensive linemen like freshmen Cade Mays and Trey Hill.

This upcoming season the Bulldogs will be anchored at left tackle by potential All-American and future first-round NFL Draft pick Andrew Thomas. Right guard Ben Cleveland, who battled a myriad of injuries last season, will be back and healthy for his redshirt junior season.

Left guard is a position which is Solomon Kindley’s to lose now, but rising sophomore and former five-star recruit Jamaree Salyer will look to improve from his freshman campaign and push for playing time. Mays also showed the versatility to play guard last season and could be too good to keep off the field. His versatility is something to watch for in spring practice.

Center is a spot that Salyer could also contend for, but for now, given his experience in relief from last season, Trey Hill will have a strong case to start at the position. Five-star incoming freshman Clay Webb could also push for early playing time this spring.

That leaves the right tackle position, which is expected to be filled by Isaiah Wilson, barring any unexpected changes. The 6-foot-7, 340-pound lineman had a strong season in 2018 and will look to carry that into his redshirt sophomore year. Mays, though, can play right tackle and has shown to be a terrific run blocker.

The key for Georgia at this position is not who starts, but the flexibility and depth it has at each position. Salyer and Mays will likely receive a good share of playing time in relief and with the way the Bulldogs recruit the position, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see other emerging players this season.

Projected starting five to begin spring practice:

Left tackle: Andrew Thomas

Left guard: Solomon Kindley

Center: Trey Hill

Right guard: Ben Cleveland

Right tackle: Isaiah Wilson