171202_reh_AUBvsUGAfirsthalf_0778.jpg

georgia tailback Sony Michel (1) runs with the ball during the SEC Championship game between the Georgia Bulldogs and Auburn Tigers at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia, on Saturday, December 2, 2017. (Photo/Reann Huber, www.reannhuber.com)

Sony Michel already running at "full-tilt"

After undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery multiple weeks ago, Sony Michel is already progressing quickly and running at full speed. The New England Patriots running back missed all of organized team activities, or OTAs, and minicamp due to the surgery, but will be ready for training camp in late July.

Michel has been spending a lot of time resting and rehabbing in the New England area, and especially at the TB12 Sports Therapy Center in Foxborough, Massachusetts.

Even though he had a solid rookie season as the Patriots’ leading ball-carrier, Michel could be in for some competition with a crowded backfield of James White, Rex Burkhead, James Develin and Damien Harris. Harris, a rookie from the University of Alabama, has been impressing while Michel remains on the sidelines. 

Three former Georgia players named in CBS Sports’ Top 100

As the NFL season creeps closer, rankings on top of rankings will continue to come out as well. One such ranking came from NFL Analyst Pete Prisco. Three former Georgia Bulldog football players were featured in the top 100.

First was Todd Gurley, coming in a No. 29. Prisco mentioned that if Gurley’s knee concerns were nonexistent, he would find himself in the top-15. Gurley suffered a knee late into the 2018 season and never quite looked the same.

Not far behind Gurley was A.J. Green at No. 31. Green is also coming off an injury in the 2018 season, but his big play ability and overall pass-catching abilities are top-notch.

Geno Atkins was the final former Georgia player to be named, coming in at No. 37. The Bengals interior defensive lineman excels at stopping the run, but has also found success as a pass rusher.

Matthew Stafford played in 2018 with broken bones in back

The Detroit Lions had a disappointing 2018 and some of that blame could be put on their starting quarterback, Matthew Stafford. The 31-year old threw for less than 4,000 yards, which was the first time since his second year in the NFL.

Stafford dealt with multiple small injuries as most quarterbacks do, however one seemed much more serious than the others.

“He had a broken back last year,” Mike O’Hara, a writer for the Lions’ website, said during a recent episode of his weekly podcast. “Broken bones in his back.”

After the back injury against the Los Angeles Rams, Stafford played in the final four games and the Lions finished 2-2. Now, the offseason is bringing more encouraging prospects as Stafford is healthy and bringing in a new offense alongside new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.