Bubba_Watson_UGA_men's_golf

Despite bowing out of the tournament early, Watson certainly made his mark earlier in the week, on June 25, when he announced he would be donating $20,000 to the First Tee of Greater Detroit. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

It was an up and down weekend for former University of Georgia golfers in Detroit, Michigan — the home of the Rocket Mortgage Classic — as four former Bulldogs missed the cut and another four placed rather highly.

First, the four that missed the cut after Friday’s second round were Russell Henley, Bubba Watson, Keith Mitchell and Brian Harman.

Despite bowing out of the tournament early, Watson certainly made his mark earlier in the week, on June 25, when he announced he would be donating $20,000 to the First Tee of Greater Detroit. He made a contribution to honor and assist Dan Gilbert, a Detroit native and a generous benefactor to the city’s future.

“With Dan Gilbert, the Rocket Mortgage team, the tournament, I wanted to honor him somehow and the only way I could think of it, because of golf, is I'm going to donate $20,000 to The First Tee of Greater Detroit,” Watson said at a press conference on Monday, June 25. “I saw the (youth) clinic yesterday. So, sometime today a check will be going out for 20-grand coming here to Detroit and being here for The First Tee in honor of Dan Gilbert.”

Watson would finish at 1-under par alongside fellow Bulldog Russell Henley. Keith Mitchell, 2-under par, and Brian Harman, 4-under par, played better than Watson and Henley, but met the same fate.

As for those who made it into the final two rounds, Harris English was the highest scorer at 8-under par, which tied him for 55th. Patrick Reed had the lowest score at 17-under par, which put him into 5th place.

Reed remained in striking distance throughout the final day, but finished positively with his best PGA Tour finish in more than a year.

Sepp Straka had another impressive performance as he finished tied for 11th at 16-under par. The placing netted Straka more than $175,000, close to the $239,075 that Reed earned for his placement.

The final former Georgia golfer was Kevin Kisner, who came in tied for 46th at 9-under par for the weekend. After a strong 6-under par start to the weekend it looked like Kisner would be in contention, but the likes of Nate Lashley — the winner at 25-under par — and others provided too large of a hill to climb.

There will certainly be more former Bulldogs in contention at this week’s 3M Open at TPC Twin Cities in Blaine, Minnesota.