170112_CLS_ClubSportsComplex_0002 (1).jpg

The UGA Club Sports Complex sign is shown in Athens, Goergia, on Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2016. Now that Georgia football's new facility is finished, many teams are able to return to the Club Sport Complex for regular practices. (Photo/Casey Sykes, www.caseysykes.com)

For the first time in nearly a year and a half, the club sports teams will be able to use their own complex again for practice.

The fields at the club sports complex have been occupied by the Georgia football team for the past season.

Construction for the new indoor practice facility, which began in December 2015, took over the fields that the football team usually practiced on, forcing the team to practice elsewhere.

Because the football team was using the club sports complex on South Milledge Avenue, the club teams resorted to practicing where they could, the majority being at the intramural fields on campus not too far away. The men’s lacrosse team is one of those that has been practicing there and seems excited to return to its own complex.

“Coming in as a freshman, we practiced there,” senior attackman and captain Phil McCarthy said. “It has kind of a sentimental value. [The intramural fields] always felt like, not a substitute, but there’s just that sentimental value that comes with the [club sports facility] field.”

This seems to be a common opinion around the team, as fellow teammate, senior midfielder and captain Jon Newar agrees, although he does add that there are still positives of practicing on the intramural fields.

“We don’t get rained out as often,” Newar said. “The old field was a bowl-shaped type of thing, with the field at the bottom that would get rained out all the time with standing water.”

When asked if one was more convenient than the other, both players agreed the intramural fields were slightly closer, but at the end of the day, the longer drive was worth playing at their own field. They then shared a laugh, apparently at an inside joke about the “quality” of their field.

Head coach Billy O’Haire said the two players “hit it right on the head.” There is a special value to the club sports facility that the players agree the intramural fields do not provide for the team.

Men’s and women’s lacrosse, as well as many other club sports teams such as rugby and soccer, have the option of returning to the club sports facility now that the football season is over. They can also opt to stay at the intramural fields, which some consider more convenient than the other facility.

The club teams who choose to return to the club sports complex plan to move practice back out as soon as they see fit.

MelBrandle

It is definitely a different experience practicing in someone else's facility. There is a completely new level of adapting to do before you can actually get used to the new facility and its resources. Thus, being able to move back into their own facility is definitely a plus point for their daily training.

michaelmaloney

I'm sure that a lot of teams would be happy if they could get a dedicated training space for themselves and their teams. I know some of the clubs that struggle with even finding dedicated storage space for their gear sometimes and we have a couple of sports teams that use our self storage services for that reason too.

EdwardThirlwall

It's quite sad to think that the sporting groups have to contend to this kind of level for proper places to practice and train. I've been hearing of some teams that actually use storage Sydney facilities for gym work because it's the only space that they have access to. It's actually a pretty good idea if you can get the team to chip in for rent. All you need to do is move in your gym equipment and you'll have a pretty conducive environment for a spot of weight training during the week.