Patrick Cunniff

Georgia distance coach Patrick Cunniff talks with runners during the Georgia Relays at the Spec Towns Track on Saturday, March 19, 2016 in Athens, Ga. (Photo by John Kelley/UGA)

The Bulldog men and women's cross country teams started the 2018 campaign by both taking third place in the Charlotte Opener in Charlotte, North Carolina, Friday.

Both running 5K races, the Lady Bulldogs scored a total of 93 points to finish in third behind West Virginia (23) and North Carolina (40), while the men finished with 100 points behind Charlotte (24) and North Carolina (38).

“We were excited to get the season started, and it was nice to get a lot of people out there running and busting the rust off, feeling what an actual race felt like,” said Bulldog distance coach Patrick Cunniff.

True freshman Nicole Pachuta made her collegiate debut and finished 15th overall to lead the Lady Bulldogs. Junior Ansley Heavern managed to place 19th (19:11.1) shortly followed by freshman Skylar English, who placed 20th (19:12.6) to round off Georgia’s top three.

For the men, sophomore Michael Hans led the Bulldogs by registering a time of 15:52.7 to place 14th while Jack Bradley finished fourteen seconds behind Hans to finish 22nd (16:06.5).

“This meet was an eye opener for many on our team and we are eager to see what kind of step forward we make at our home meet next weekend” said Cuniff.

The Bulldog cross country teams look ahead to the UGA Invitational Sept. 8 and the Paul Short Run on Sept. 29, marking their third of four regular season weekends.