After helping the 1976 Georgia football team to a Southeastern Conference Championship, Al Pollard graduated from Georgia and dedicated much of his time to working with children. He continues that plight, and is now a finalist for the Chattahoochee County superintendent position.

Out of college, Pollard saw great success as a baseball coach, leading Jonesco Academy to the Georgia Independent School Association class AA baseball championship in 1984 and Robert Toombs Christian Academy to the same award in 1985.

The former Bulldogs' starting fullback and Macon Hall of Fame member pursued a career in education, earning his doctorate of education from Nova Southeastern University in 2008. For four years, he was principal of Atkinson County High School in Pearson before leaving for the same position at Merry Acres Middle School in Albany.

Out of 19 applicants, Pollard is among three finalists selected by the Chattahoochee County Board of Education, including David McCurry (principal of Cairo High School) and William Settle (director of federal programs for Thomasville City Schools.)

With a county population of roughly 13,000, the new superintendent will oversee the Chattahoochee County Education Center, middle school, and high school.

The board hopes to name a new superintendent by August 31.

Knowshon Moreno getting back to full strength

As a sophomore tailback at UGA, Knowshon Moreno led the SEC with 1463 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns before declaring for the NFL Draft in 2009. After five years as a Denver Bronco and rushing for 1,038 yards in 2013, Moreno became a free agent and signed a one-year contract with the Miami Dolphins for $3 million.

But since arriving in Miami, Moreno has struggled with a nagging left knee injury that caused him to miss two preseason games so far, including a 16-10 loss to the Atlanta Falcons and 20-14 win against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Having undergone arthroscopic surgery in late June, Moreno has been unable to help improve a Miami rushing game that tallied just 1440 yards and eight rushing touchdowns total in 2013, good for No. 26 in the league.

Moreno has rehabbed and practiced with full pads for a full week, according to James Walker of ESPN. If he can remain healthy, Moreno will have to battle for the starting position with running back Lamar Miller, who led the Dolphins on the ground with 709 yards and two touchdowns last season.

Having missed the first two preseason games, Moreno will have two opportunities for playing time before the Dolphins open the regular season against the New England Patriots on Sunday September 7.

Alex Wood looks strong in August

The Atlanta Braves have struggled in August, but Atlanta is 2-1 when Alex Wood has taken the mound this month.

Wood was instrumental in Atlanta’s 3-1 victory over the Washington Nationals on Sunday, August 10 and had a solid performance in a 7-2 win over the Oakland Athletics, who sit atop the American League West rankings, on Friday, August 15.

After pitching 7.1 innings and striking out 12 in the Nationals game, Wood allowed just four hits and two runs in six innings against the Athletics.

With these two wins, Wood improves to 9-9 on the season with a 3.07 earned run average. Wood is next up in the pitching rotation Wednesday, August 20 at the Pittsburgh Pirates.