equstrian

Alex Maracic rides Lola during the Equation over fences event at the University of Georgia Equestrian Complex in Bishop, Georgia, on Friday, Sept. 18, 2015. (Photo/David A. Barnes)

The No. 1 Georgia (4-0) equestrian team defeated No. 5 Oklahoma State (2-1) on Friday at the UGA Equestrian Complex. 

It was an impressive performance by the Bulldogs, who they took home all four MVP honors. Liza Finsness (Equitation on the Flat), Rachel Kolb (Horsemanship), Meg O'Mara (Equitation Over Fences), and Graysen Stroud (Reining) each took home the MVP for their respected events.

"There was a lot of strength in all of the events,” Head coach Meghan Boenig said. It’s incredible to see a sweep (in horsemanship). We have a little break now, which is a great time to work on team unity, bonding and some of the mental psyche as we get ready for Auburn."

Georgia started strong going 3-2 in Equitation Over Fences. Oklahoma State had tied it at 2-2 when Leylan Gleeson broke the tie with an impressive 82 point run. Meg O’Mera was the star of the event with an 86-point run which earned her the MVP award for the event.   

Although Georgia was impressive throughout the match it dominated in Horsemanship. The Bulldogs ran the table on the Cowgirls 5-0 in the Horsemanship event with all five riders scoring over 72 points in each of their runs.

“Today we were on,” senior Horsemanship MVP winner Rachel Kolb said. “Today each of us were focusing on the job at hand [and] living in the moment [during] each particular maneuver as we went through, not getting ahead of ourselves and just really being there for each other.”

In the Equitation on the Flat event, Georgia nearly swept with a 4-1 score. Each rider that won, won by an average of 12.25 points! The only match up they lost was by a score of 63-62. The breakout rider in this event was junior Liza Finsness. She solidified Georgia’s lead with a decisive 75-58 win over Oklahoma State rider Amy White. This gave the Bulldogs a 7-3 overall score in the Hunt Seat discipline.

Georgia had its poorest showing in reining. Georgia lost of Oklahoma State, 2-3. Freshman Graysen Stroud was the bright spot of the event scoring a 70.5 and a point for the Bulldogs. Although the Bulldogs lost this round it was still enough to put them up 7-3 in the Western discipline. And bring the final score of the afternoon to a 14-6 Bulldog victory.

Georgia now has almost a month off before traveling to Auburn to face the No. 2 Tigers on Nov. 13.