190211_crm_edwards_committ.jpg

Anthony Edwards, a senior guard at Holy Spirit Preparatory School, committed to play basketball at the University of Georgia on Monday, February 11, 2018 at Holy Spirit Preparatory School in Atlanta. Edwards was the second highest rated recruit of the 2019 class. (Photo/Christina R. Matacotta, crmatacotta@gmail.com)

First-year Georgia head coach Tom Crean has landed a pledge from the most heralded college basketball recruit in school history.

Anthony Edwards, a five-star shooting guard from Holy Spirit Preparatory School in Atlanta, announced his commitment to the Bulldogs at his high school gym on Monday morning. He is the No. 2 overall prospect in the Class of 2019, according to the 247Sports Composite. 247Sports, which has rankings dating back to 2000, also ranks Edwards as Georgia's high-rated recruit in program history.

Edwards, should he sign and eventually play for the Bulldogs, would be just the second five-star recruit to ever play for the Bulldogs, joining former SEC Player of the Year Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. 

At 6-foot-5 and 215 pounds, Edwards possesses good size and elite scoring ability. In ESPN.com's most recent 2020 NBA mock draft, ESPN's Jonathan Givony projected Edwards as the second overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft. Givony compared Edwards to current NBA players Donovan Mitchell, Victor Oladipo and Eric Gordon for his build and play style.

Edwards tops a strong 2019 class for Crean and the Bulldogs, joining four-star small forwards Jaykwon Walton and Toumani Camara.