180903_JF_locker room_0003.jpg

Scenes from the newly rennovated player locker rooms in the west end of Sanford Stadium at the University of Georgia. Athens, Ga. Sept 3rd, 2018 (Photo/Justin Fountain, justingf@uga.edu)

The University of Georgia Athletic Association’s West End Zone project, which reportedly cost an estimated $63 million, was put to use on Saturday for the first time by the Georgia football team.

On Monday, representatives from the athletic department provided a tour of the new facility in its entirety, including the locker room, the recruiting area and a view of the enlarged scoreboard.

“'I certainly think it’s a first-class facility, best in the country when it comes to hosting student-athletes and prospective student athletes on gameday events,” head coach Kirby Smart said.

180903_JF_locker room_0005.jpg

The tour included a look at the locker room, with each locker equipped with the player’s name, number and hometown. There’s a separate locker room for coaches as well.

On the next level is the recruiting area, which Smart said on Saturday hosted around “200 recruits.” This area was equipped with a number of different tables for guests when they are hosted as well as ping pong tables and murals of former players and prominent media members that graduated from Georgia.

180903_JF_locker room_0015.jpg

Scenes from the newly rennovated plaza inside the west end of Sanford Stadium at the University of Georgia. Athens, Ga. Sept 3rd, 2018 (Photo/Justin Fountain, justingf@uga.edu)

The room next to the elevator on the same floor has a layout of each of Georgia’s uniform combinations as well as the 2017 SEC championship trophy and the 2018 Rose Bowl trophy. There’s also an interactive board that provides information on Georgia’s traditions, past accomplishments and overall general information about the program.

On the outside there is an area that resembles a “VIP” section. A floor up is the location of the scoreboard, which is 33 percent bigger than the previous one.