180908_rmw_ugavscar_30.jpg

University of Georgia running back D’Andre Swift runs during a game between the University of Georgia and the University of South Carolina at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina on Saturday, Sept. 8, 2018.

After Georgia’s 49-7 win over Middle Tennessee on Sept. 15, Georgia head coach Kirby Smart said that running back D’Andre Swift’s meager stat line - four carries for 12 yards - was not a result of an injury, but rather a coach’s decision to shuffle running backs in and out.

However, on Wednesday, Swift revealed there is more to the story.

Swift said he has been dealing with a groin injury that has been going on “for a while.” He also said he dealt with a similar injury in the spring, and added he felt fine against Missouri when he ran for 71 yards on 16 carries.

“I get treatment like seven in the morning every day, just try to do it three times a day before practice just to get ready for practice,” Swift said. “But I’m good now.”

Swift said his injury is the kind that takes time to heal, “but unfortunately, I don’t have time right now.”

Looking deeper into the stats, it can be seen that Swift hasn’t been quite the same player he was in 2017. After having eight runs of 20 yards or more last year, he hasn’t recorded a single one this year.

Swift is averaging 4.8 yards per carry this season after recording 7.6 yards per attempt in his freshman season.